Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hiddenleafgrower

Grafting

Hiddenleafgrower
10 years ago

So, I am told that grafting is an art, a difficult thing to learn to do. The thing is I have been reading about it off and on for about a month now. I tried grafting my purple lilac onto my mother-in-law's white lilac about 2 weeks ago (I know I'm a tad late). I did a reverse saddle graft (that's what I was told it was called) and a bark graft. Without a whole lot of knowledge about the subject I am proud to announce my first 2 grafting tries have taken (or are still alive at least). My question is: Is it really as hard as I have been told to learn to graft? And if so, why? As far as I've seen and read all it takes is a steady hand, sharp tools, and at least enough knowledge of the anatomy of a plant to do it. Please don't be offended by anything I have said. I know a lot of people here are far more knowledgeable than I am, but I just want to know if there is more to it than I am seeing. What would an experienced graft artist suggest to a newbie to hone his skills and learn the art deeper?

I thank you all in advance for any knowledge that you would be willing to share with me.
~Thank you~

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm