Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texacorw

Bougainvillea in Oregon? Please HELP!!!

texacorw
16 years ago

I just receiced multiple Bougainvilleas for Motehr's Day and my hubby wants to get them planted. I have two in pots ( sorry I don't know the exact types) that have the pink/salmon/rust colored "flowers" and now two very tall Bougainvilleas currently in pots that my hubby wants to put in the ground to train to cover two trellis areas to provide a small amount of privacy. These two are already tall and beginning to climb posts ( deep purple in color "flowers"). If I allow him to plant them in the ground, could they survive the winter? We have two palms that we wrap the bases in plastic for the winters until it dries up a bit and keep the bases (or root ball) mounded to insulate with dirt. SO far so good for 2 years there - anything like that possible with these Bougainvilleas?? I really don't want to kill them - I am noting that we are probably overwatering and will cut back immediately ( as we lightly water each evening all of our beds). Suffice it to say, zone 8 is cooler than 9 or 10, and we do get a VERY brief spell of snow - MAYBE a sprinkle that melts off each day for about 2-3 weeks I would guess. Rarely much more - unless it is a BIG year - those come infrequently. My zip is 9713 if anyone wants to look at an avg temp before giving insight?

THANKS in advance!!!

Comments (3)