Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juleem13

Planting through burried decorative rock

JuleeM13
9 years ago

Hi. I have a new house and the previous owner didn't do much to maintain the outdoor area at all in the 30 plus years they owned it. We recently had several giant shrubs removed around the foundation. We hired someone to prep the beds by removing old river rock landscaping rock that was burried beneath about 2-3 inches of debris and add topsoil. We started to plant yesterday only to find out that he didn't remove most of the rock. He just added the topsoil down on top of it.

We aren't paying for the service we didn't recieve but now we are left with a bigger problem because now the rock is burried even further. This is a fairly big area. It's about two beds around 20x20 each. He gave us a great price which now we know why. I'm afraid we won't be able to afford to have someone finish the job plus I have a bunch of plants we just purchased sitting in my yard.

This "landscaper" said to just dig the holes and don't worry about the rock (that he does that all the time) but we have a lot of clay in the soil so we are trying to mix the soil we dig out with organic compost.

So my question is, is it really ok to leave most of the rock there? Will the roots have enough room if we get all the rock out of the holes we dig? This is my first attempt at any sort of landscaping and I'm so frustrated I could cry. Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!