Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferdoc

Natural Area in need of tons of help!

jenniferdoc
12 years ago

From May 25, 2011

This is my natural area in the front yard. The picture was taken in early March, so the area looks somewhat different now. The only things I can recognize are a hydrangea (near my little boy), some azaleas to the right of the oak tree, and a gardenia (to the front right). There is a tree/bush to the far left, and two trees/bushes toward the back of the area that i can't identify. There are also unidentified plants growing toward the far left of the area near the unidentified tree. The area is bordered with monkey grass (which had just been mowed down by my husband). The area is mostly shady. I need some ideas as to what to plant in this area. Also, how should I prep the area before planting. There is black plastic on the ground covered with old pinestraw. However, many weeds, vines, etc are peeking through that black plastic now that spring has arrived. I've never planted anything and have killed any houseplants I've ever received. I need lots of help. I don't even know where to start!! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can post more detailed pics if needed! Thanks so much!

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Don't know where you are located, so difficult to suggest specific plants. I'd suggest visiting a local garden center and checking out their plants suitable for part shade......lots of possibilities. Another suggestion is to visit any public gardens in your area and see what they grow in a similar setting.....most will have plants labeled.

Get rid of the plastic landscape fabric and remove any weeds -- that's always the first step in considering revamping any new planting area. And I'd focus on tough shrubs. These will provide structure and year round presence, many offer flowers or fall foliage color as well and will tend to need less attention (good for a new gardener with a self-professed black thumb!) than fussier and often more demanding perennials. Pretty much all they will need is attention to watering. Mulching after planting - more pine straw is fine - will help to conserve soil moisture and keep weeds down.

Also, investigate whatever classes local nurseries or garden centers may offer. These are typically free and are a great way to gain gardening information. Joining a local garden club will help too.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Great advice. Some type of border around this would make it visually more understandable as a "flower bed" and hubby would know better where not to mow.

You can take some closer pictures of the trees/shrubs you can't identify and ask what they are on the name that plant forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: You can find your zone here

• jenniferdoc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! And, believe it or not, hubby mowed the monkey grass border on purpose. It was getting a little out of hand, but it's back and better than ever! I appreciate the advice so far and hope to get started ASAP!

• alaMel
    12 years ago

Hosts are a good bet in the shade. There are lots to chose from and thrive in almost any zone. Also check out bleeding hearts, raspberry splash lungwort. I like newgardenplants.com. They have a shade perennial tab. As for landscape architecture, I wish I knew more myself.

12 years ago

Mel, without knowing where Jennifer is, it's impossible to suggest appropriate specific plants. Plants that may be cold hardy may not necessarily tolerate other unknown conditions, such as high heat, humidity, drought, elevation, etc...

I think you meant hostas instead of hosts. I agree, though, hostas would probably do well here. Some of the giant ones would fit well in scale, too.

Your profile doesn't include your zone, but if the "ala" part of your name indicates you live in AL, be wary about ordering plants online from a company in MI. (No, it's not the former buckeye in me with lingering wolverine aversion - LOL!) Plants from such a disparate climate are unlikely to appreciate such radical relocation. Plants with local provenance are much more desirable and reliable.

• alaMel
    12 years ago

Been trying to figure out profile changes, nothing sticks when I change it. 4a I did intentionally order semi locally.:) Thanks for the heads up on zone awareness. Lol Hey, maybe we need a ribbon for that? Haha. Jk

12 years ago

I like your ribbon joke. Funny!!

Other people have trouble getting their zone to stick, too, and there's occasional inexplicable zone disappearance. Don't feel like it's picking on just you.

12 years ago

Jennifer, when you get a minute, would love to see a new pic and hear about your progress. These things are so much more fun with an "after" or at least a "next."

• zuni
    12 years ago

Jennifer, don't forget to contact your local Master Gardeners. They can be a wealth of free information about choosing plants for your locale and gardening questions.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm