Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_to_charlottenc

Leaf Bagging & Picking Up Leaves

new_to_charlottenc
17 years ago

My mom is in her late 60's and she is looking for an easier way to pick up leaves and put them in a bag. She doesn't like dragging around a garbage can, lined with a bag. She just likes using a bag but it's tough for her to fill it at first.

Is there a product on the market that allows someone to set up a bag?

Is there some kind of thing you can put on your hands, to make it easier to grab more leaves at a time? My mom said her friend in England said they sell "leaf hands" for 1 pound. You slide them on like gloves, but they make your hands huge, I guess like, "Clown Hands". With the giant hands, you can scoop up leaves.

Comments (15)

• username_5
    17 years ago

Does your Mom have a mower with bag attachment? If so, just mow the leaves and dump the bag into the garbage can.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

I once had one of those mower bags, & my experience was that it was heavy & awkward to handle.

So I became a fan of allowing leaves to compost in place.

They provide immediate insulation against extreme temps & moisture loss, & when they break down, they add nutrients to the soil.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

You need to check out Port-o-bag and gator rakes! Look up 'leaf scoops' and you will find those things you can put on your hands. There are MANY companies that make trash bag holders. One is Port-A-Bag. I'll bet most of the good gardening tool catalogs have something that will be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1057251}}

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

There are several gadgets available for holding up the bags, but so far, I haven't found the company that made the one I prefer. It's flat [like a tray] with a hinged flap on either side; lightweight, sturdy plastic; folds flat about the thickness of three layers of corrugated cardboard. The size works with 35-gallon and larger bags. It can be stood on end with the bag pulled over the upper edge (good if you like to lift and drop stuff into the open bag) or lay it flat on the ground to hold the bag open and rake leaves directly into it! While I use a lawn vac during heavy leaf fall, and a mower with a bagger for grass clippings, this bag-thingy still gets a lot of use because it is so-o-o convenient to rake right into the bag especially if it's hedge trimmings.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Well, Meldy....that's not good enough! We want details, girl! Take a picture for us. I (too) am looking for any kind of gadget that makes gardening a bit easier.

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

This is similar but a small one, and I donÂt know anything about the company.
    http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/?SC=98656&PD=44368&PID=675&AG=262487400&MT=3&gclid=CIWfmYffloUCFUetLAodlW7oHw

IÂm not the only one who canÂt find it:
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg0309255419068.html?7

and I did look up the funnel design, but all I could find was a patent thingy  says itÂs metal, and I donÂt see the point of having metal.

IÂll keep looking, meanwhile IÂm glad weÂve got a couple months to go before leaves start to fall!

Here is a link that might be useful: leafbag holder

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

Another aging mom here. Last year I "mowed" my leaves into the mower catcher and used the chopped leaves for mulch for winter. There sure were enough to go around :-)

Carol

• Judy_B_ON
    17 years ago

Here is a Lee Valley Tools solution, a cart that is flat to the ground so that leaves can be raked into it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low rider Cart

• lindac
    15 years ago

I have a thing-ey that holds a recyclable leaf bag ( we call them city bags because the city will take them for compost). It's a plastic cylinder that holds a bag with a sort of thing like a giant fruit jar filler that snaps on the top and holds the bag firm. Then I have 2 yellow plastic things that look like 12 inch pot lide that I grip to pick up large amounts of leaves and dump them into the bag. When it's full I pop off the "funnel" and lift the tube off the bag, tie and take to the curb.
    Works for me....if it weren't raining I would take a picture of it.
    Linda C

• trabmu
    13 years ago

Buy a Yard Bag Chute at www.yardbagchute.com The Chute is by far the easiest to use and folds flat for ez storage.

Here is a link that might be useful: yard bag chute

• Jerry_in-Miami
    11 years ago

Found a product via a newspaper article that had a link to a product called Rake "n" Sweep. This product comes with a reusable garden bag attached that can be used by itself to easily transfer leaves to a garbage bin or you can line their reusable bag with a draw string trash bag and simply remove when full.

They also sell a sister product called BagJaw that is just a triangular frame that you insert into a trash bag. It holds the bag open and gives you a hard dustpan edge for easy raking or sweeping to fill the bag.

I also like that the frame is about 18 inches above the ground so you can lift and move the bag around without having to bend all the way to the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenBag and trash bag holder. The dustpan with a bag attitude

• PRO
    Lasting Impressions Residential Remodeling
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

use a plastic snow shovel to pick up leaves, much easier than bending over too far. In combination

with your power mower and a blower picking up leaves still blows but this method saves time. Or

you can just blow them over to the neighbors place

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    8 years ago

Raking is obsolete.

1st off, mowing on a dry day gets rid of enough leaves AND fertilizes for next year.

2nd, I use a lightweight electric leaf blower/bagger in the cubby by the garage when I don't feel like getting the mower out in December.

• tete_a_tete
    8 years ago

I use a large piece of something, such as tarpaulin, and I lay it on the ground next to the leaves. Then I rake the leaves onto it, pick up two corners and drag it to where I want the leaves. This is the easiest way to collect leaves that I know.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

If you don't have large numbers of leaves, mowing them multiple times will chop them small enough to leave on the lawn. They sift down between the grass blades and disappear, adding organic matter to the soil. Even with 5 large maple trees on less than an acre, we haven't had any extra leaves to add to the compost pile in years.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!