Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Full sun plant options

Posted by dennis_ashworth Z8 Western WA (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 16:13

I have two challenging areas where I need to identify full-sun plant solutions. One is a 40'x 3' strip along a black top driveway. The soil in the area is good but during in the winter the area is perpeutally wet. Height should be maybe 3-4 feet maximum - evergreen preferred. Ideas?

The second area is to intended block the underside of an elevated deck. The deck height varies from 3-5 feet. This area gets the hot afternoon sun. It's not a highly visible area so color or blooming (if any) is not that much of an issue - I just want to hide the underside of the deck.

Many thanks
Dennis
Battle Ground, WA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Full sun plant options

I don't know about the strip by blacktop, that is challenging to find something that will take the heat and the soggy spring.

Lattice work looks very nice to hide the underside of a deck and this opens up the options of what, if anything, to plant. Annual vines like morning glories are cheap to sow seed and let them weave throughout the lattice work. Morning glories can also be mostly neglected. At most a little water during a drought, no fertilizer needed and the soil doesn't need to be high quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here