Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a site for 'name that bug or disease'

Posted by Cflower US (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 05 at 18:48

I've seen a thread here for "name that plant" I would like to know what kind of bugs or diseases my plants may get and how to recognize them. How do I do this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a site for 'name that bug or disease'

You can go to the forum which fits your plant type (roses, camellias or whatever) or you could try the Pests & Diseases Forum. But, hopefully you won't need either!

o

The Pests and Diseases Forum is also called The Garden Clinic Forum. We are all waiting for new problems to diagnose! You can also visit Integrated Pest Management forum for the best IPM advice, and Organic Gardening for strictly organic remedies for pest problems.

o

Rhizo-

What exactly does "Integrated Pest Mangement" mean?

Katrina

o

I live in Michigan. Something is eating the leaves of my shasta daisies and geraniums. It is a tiny little round bug. Black and white in color. What can I do and what is it?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 0:15

Hi, Katrina. Dorie (Rhizo) probably forgot this post or she would have answered your question. IPM is an approach to managing pests wherein the pest monitor (you or I) takes responsibility for considering all appropriate remedies that will keep pest levels and damage within acceptable limits while at the same time considering the impact of remedial actions on the environment. IPM recognizes that total control of any insect species is virtually impossible and expensive to the environment. In order to be effective at IPM, you need to know the relationship of predator species to prey species and how treatments affects the balance. A working knowledge of chemicals and their relative effectiveness in combating different species of pests is necessary as well. Often, you'll find that a simple solution, like blasting pests from your plants with a sharp stream of water is all that is needed to keep pests in check instead of reaching for a can of chemical spray. The concept of IPM doesn't rule out the use of pesticides, but will in most cases use a more environmentally friendly method as the first line of defense, falling back on harsher treatment forms when all other methods of treatment has failed.

In short, IPM integrates multiple forms of treatment and prevention in an attempt to keep predation on plants at a tolerable level. IPM can also extend to other pests like wasps, rabbits, woodchucks, ants, etc.

Al

o

You took the words right out of my mouth, Al! Only they came out better when you say it.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 18:23

After 2 weeks, I figured you'd forgotten you posted here. Didn't mean to steal your thunder. ;o)

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here