Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_habanero

Tilling and other preparations for new gardener

Miss_Habanero
9 years ago

Hi there. I'm fairly new to gardening. In the past I've always just bought a container, some premixed soil in a bag, a plant, and voila, success!

Too easy I guess. Anyway, now I'm wanting to plant in the ground here in my new home. For sustainability as well as looks. First of all, I have very hard, compact red soil that lumps together like clay if it's wet. When it gets dry (summer months) it cracks on the surface and, if I can break it apart, it sifts through my fingers like sand. So I'm not sure what to categorize it as. Maybe a healthy mix of both sand and clay?

Anyway, my question. I need to till this stuff so that I can plant. I'm completely on board with the idea of letting nature do the tilling and mulching (worms + leaves), but for this property's first time gardening I really need to get rid of the large concentration of roots and rocks in the soil. And make it soft enough for me to actually get my hand shovel into, otherwise it's like concrete.

So far I've been tilling by just shoveling it and turning it over. This is back breaking work that the mosquitoes appreciate, but I'm thinking there has to be a better way to turn this dirt and make it useable.

So any suggestions on good tools for this type of job would be much appreciated. I don't want to use power tools because I don't plan on torturing myself with this task very often, only when the soil gets too compacted for me to work with.

Thanks,
Habs

Comment (1)

Sponsored