Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ants

Posted by PinkRose84 none (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 22:10

SO I'M NEW TO THIS GARDENING STUFF BUT I PUT SOME PEST REPELLENT ON MY TREES AND FLOWERS BUT THEY ARE FULL OF ANTS, NO BEDS ANYWHERE I CAN SEE SO WHAT DO I DO SAFELY, OR IS THIS OK? THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ants

Ants in the US don't damage plants.

When ants are in trees, usually a reason. Often aphids and/or scale insects, then must deal with those in order to get rid of the ants.

What are they doing to/in your flowers? Again, likely insects are there. Aphids would be my guess.eed to find out what insects are in the trees.

o

They're everywhere and as long as they don't eat anything I want to eat, don't try to come inside, and don't bite, I can't see a problem with them. They clean up all the little dead thingies that would otherwise litter the dirt. They feed the lizards that feed the mockingbirds that drive off the neighborhood cats. I see no strong upside but no downside either.

Look at this sunflower head. When blown up to full original resolution, I counted over a hundred of the things and wouldn't have noticed if a camera wasn't involved. There are twelve in the little yellow oval alone. It's their land too and we're both smart enough to not fight over it.

Knock on wood.

o

great thanks for the help!

o

I had this same question! Thank you for posting and for answers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here