Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljlj818

Butterfly garden/Humming birds

ljlj818
18 years ago

I am trying to change my garden so I can attract butterflies and humming birds. I have planted butterfly bush and verbena for the butterflies so far. Any suggestions for other plants to add (besides milkweed), and also plants that humming birds would like? Thanks in advance!

~LJ

Comments (6)

• Padinka
    18 years ago

Here's a link for butterfly gardens. And here are some plants that hummers like.

Trees and Shrubs
    Azalea
    Butterfly Bush (Buddleia)
    Cape Honeysuckle
    Flame Acanthus
    Flowering Quince
    Lantana
    Manzanita
    Mimosa
    Red Buckeye
    Tree Tobacco
    Turk's Cap
    Weigela

Vines
    Coral Honeysuckle
    Cypress Vine
    Morning Glory
    Scarlet Runner Bean
    Trumpet Creeper

Perennials

Bee Balm (Monarda)
    Canna
    Cardinal Flower
    Columbine
    Coral Bells
    Four O'Clocks
    Foxglove
    Hosta
    Hummingbird Mint (Agastache)
    Little Cigar
    Lupine
    Penstemon
    Yucca

Annuals

Beard Tongue (and other penstemons)
    Firespike
    Fuchsia
    Impatiens
    Jacobiana
    Jewelweed
    Petunia
    Various Salvia species
    Shrimp Plant

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfies

• ljlj818
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW! Thanks so much Padinka! It is people like you that make GW such a great resource, and why I talk it up to all my friends and family. I certainly have a lot to choose from now! Thanks again!
    ~LJ

• david1978jp
    18 years ago

Autumn Sage, from morning to afternoo, humming birds keep coming.

• Stellinate
    18 years ago

Just having trumpet vine growing in my yard seems to make more hummingbirds appear. There are no flowers yet, but there is more activity at my feeders last year and already this year.

I added many red annuals this year to grab their attention hoping to attract even more frenzy.

• ljlj818
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I want to thank you for all of the wonderful advice and suggestions! I have been startled when watering (by butterflies~Verbana~ and two toads-that like my impatients). My butterfly bush is growing nicely from seed, I just need to plan ahead for next year to get the humming birds, as I like to grow most of my plants from seed. Thanks again all!
    ~LJ

• mrs_emily
    18 years ago

You've had some great advice on here already, but I just want to add one more thing. I've gardened a very long time and the one thing I've notice about both butterflies and hummingbirds is they like color. Zinnias are simple, easy to grow and last all season and butterflies in my yard flock to them. As far as hummingbirds, they also flock to my zinnias and then stop to drink at the flowers which accomodate their specially constructed beaks. Anything colorful they can dip their beaks into. Big, bright and colorful brings all the lovely critters into the yard.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions