Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly garden/Humming birds

Posted by ljlj818 z5OH (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 05 at 22:42

I am trying to change my garden so I can attract butterflies and humming birds. I have planted butterfly bush and verbena for the butterflies so far. Any suggestions for other plants to add (besides milkweed), and also plants that humming birds would like? Thanks in advance!
~LJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly garden/Humming birds

Here's a link for butterfly gardens. And here are some plants that hummers like.

Trees and Shrubs
Azalea
Butterfly Bush (Buddleia)
Cape Honeysuckle
Flame Acanthus
Flowering Quince
Lantana
Manzanita
Mimosa
Red Buckeye
Tree Tobacco
Turk's Cap
Weigela

Vines
Coral Honeysuckle
Cypress Vine
Morning Glory
Scarlet Runner Bean
Trumpet Creeper

Perennials

Bee Balm (Monarda)
Canna
Cardinal Flower
Columbine
Coral Bells
Four O'Clocks
Foxglove
Hosta
Hummingbird Mint (Agastache)
Little Cigar
Lupine
Penstemon
Yucca

Annuals

Beard Tongue (and other penstemons)
Firespike
Fuchsia
Impatiens
Jacobiana
Jewelweed
Petunia
Various Salvia species
Shrimp Plant

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfies

o

WOW! Thanks so much Padinka! It is people like you that make GW such a great resource, and why I talk it up to all my friends and family. I certainly have a lot to choose from now! Thanks again!
~LJ

o

Autumn Sage, from morning to afternoo, humming birds keep coming.

o

Just having trumpet vine growing in my yard seems to make more hummingbirds appear. There are no flowers yet, but there is more activity at my feeders last year and already this year.

I added many red annuals this year to grab their attention hoping to attract even more frenzy.

o

I want to thank you for all of the wonderful advice and suggestions! I have been startled when watering (by butterflies~Verbana~ and two toads-that like my impatients). My butterfly bush is growing nicely from seed, I just need to plan ahead for next year to get the humming birds, as I like to grow most of my plants from seed. Thanks again all!
~LJ

o

You've had some great advice on here already, but I just want to add one more thing. I've gardened a very long time and the one thing I've notice about both butterflies and hummingbirds is they like color. Zinnias are simple, easy to grow and last all season and butterflies in my yard flock to them. As far as hummingbirds, they also flock to my zinnias and then stop to drink at the flowers which accomodate their specially constructed beaks. Anything colorful they can dip their beaks into. Big, bright and colorful brings all the lovely critters into the yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here