Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quilt_mommy

Is there anything safe to climb directly on the house?

quilt_mommy
15 years ago

I am fairly new to gardening as this is the second spring my Husband and I have been in our home. We purchased it last year this time, so I spent most of the warm months inside rather than out. This year I've been working at creating a small cottage garden feel in the front, my first ever attempt at growing more than a few petunias in a pot! I absolutely love anything that climbs, espeically flowering climbers, but I hear they can do damage to the house. In the March 2008 issue of Cottage Living, however, there is an article about a woman's beautiful cottage garden, and she has a MOUND of clematis right over the entrance to her house...and of course, I woud LOVE to do that! That is, if it's not going to damage our new home! Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

Our termite inspector said noting should grow on the house but I cannot forget those beautiful vines on old eastern campuses and wonder if the inspector was reciting something he was taught to recite in a seminar.

• quilt_mommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda C - well, let's see, my house faces East, and the front of the house gets a good amount of sun each day, no trees really to shade it much. I had thought about rigging up twine somehow and attempting to climb it over the doorway in that manner. The roots I have heard need shade for clematis, and I have a shrub I thought I'd plant it next to to shade the roots, but give the vines plenty of sun. I have vinyl siding on the front of the house, is there any fear I should have that it will creep or pull under the siding or shingles on the roof? I was thinking maybe just cut it back if it begins to creep up over the gutters onto the roof - but I had read ivy was more of a worry than clematis to the roof. Anyhow, I started nastartium and morning glories from seed this year so those will be my first attempt at climbing plants - I don't want to get in over my head (ok, no pun intended, really!)...thanks again for any help! :)

• jean001
    15 years ago

It was said: "Our termite inspector said nothing should grow on the house but I ... wonder if the inspector was reciting something he was taught to recite in a seminar."

Good reasons behind the inspector's statement.

For one, the siding will be more moist than if not covered. And moisture-damaged wood is prime habitat for termites, also carpenter ants.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Those vines covering the walls of the buildings of the Ivy League are Boston ivy. They cling by stickers onto the brick....they do no harm, some of those old ivy covered buildings have been ivy covered for 200 or more years.
    However, that some vine is not good for wood buildings, because it holds moisture and causes the wood to rot....nothing to do with termites.
    Clematis won't grow but for on a trellis, or strings....and clematis doesn't go between the siding and cause problems like trumpet vine or honeysuckle.
    Besides clematis is best pruned to 3 feet in late winter....so you get rid of all that top growth.
    Quilt-mom....your east facing front sounds ideal for clematis....and a hosta is good for shading the root area.
    Linda C

• vetivert8
    15 years ago

Would you consider putting up a sturdy free-standing arbor across the front of your house/entrance. There are many useful designs that could give you summer shading and then let the light through in winter.

It can be a plus to NOT have plants directly against the house as small creatures tend to take up residence in the plants - mice, birds, wasps...

With a formal structure you could combine, say, honeysuckle (one of the less rampant varieties) some of the climbing roses with elegant scent (the Austin roses are often repeat flowering), and various Clematises to mingle with the roses, or herald the first flush of rose blooms.

If it will grow in your area another possible is Tropaeolum (Nasturtium-like).

Be particularly wary of Wisteria, IMO, as it can easily wiggle its way under gutters, sidings, whatever and then Grow. If you have enough room it can be very lovely as a free-standing/sprawling specimen plant. Not much to look at over summer - but pretty good for the other three seasons.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022