Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much can I plant in my beds?

Posted by jessica_oh z5 OH (My Page) on
Thu, May 18, 06 at 22:58

Hey all,

I have planted for the past three years in 6ft x 3ft (ish) raised beds. I have two. Typically I do about 6 tomato plants with some herbs around them.

I'd like to branch out this year plus I read that I should rotate some. So I'm wondering what all I could fit into this space?? I'd like to plant:

1 Better Boy
1 Beef Steak
1 Sweet 100
1 variety of bell peppers
onions
and maybe something else.

Can i fit all this into my 18sq feet??

tia,

Jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much can I plant in my beds?

Without question, yes.

Please read the book 'Square foot gardening'. This book was written with you in mind. You can plant everything you mentioned and much more in the space you have.

o
RE: How much can I plant in my beds?

And don't worry about "rotating", which is needful only if you don't do an ongoing program of soil enrichment, or if your veggies are disease prone. Also, a recent report indicated that tomatoes are just fine being planted in the same area consecutive years, but while I do this, I also make a point of considerable soil renovation via the lasagna method every year. Definitely get Bartholomew's book - even old, used editions are just fine - Sq Ft gardening wastes no space, and also practices good soil management in conjunction with consecutive planting. Do put up a sturdy fence along the back of the bed and take advantage of vines - I'd suggest Fortex green beans for good taste, long production, and being nearly disease free; cucumbers also do extremely well when grown upwards. Carrots make an attractive (and tasty) edging. You should be able to grow all your salads from spring through late fall (and into the winter if you invest in row cover).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here