Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20039388

As new as can be, got a few questions

User
9 years ago

Hi all,

I am completely new to gardening but can't wai to get started. I am building a few bins/pots/beds (pic attached) at the moment as space allows and have a pretty good idea of the stuff i'll be growing (no flowers, all edible stuff). My biggest issue right now is irrigation, pest control and dirt.

My questions can fit in quite a few forum categories but since I'm new I figured this is the best place to start :)

Irrigation:
I want to collect rain water and use this to irrigate the beds. The total area will be 10x16 feet ground level with one bed 48 inches off the ground.

I get plenty of rain here in Florida and have a tap outside to supplement though I prefer to keep the chemicals and other stuff found in the water supply away from my veggies. I think I can figure out how to set up the pipes and hoses but when it comes to how much PSI, what pump and what kind of timer... I'm completely lost. A pump can get the water 48 inches in the air but will all the beds on the ground level get too much water because of the pressure? Just one of many questions.

I'd like to know where to go to buy supplies for irrigation and what I would need.

Pest control:
I was planning to screen in as much of the beds as I could to keep the bugs out. All the beds are 6 inches off the ground to avoid contact with the ground in my area. The community where I live uses pesticides regularly and I do not want that to contaminate my greens in any way through ground water etc. Paranoid maybe but I want this garden to be as organic as possible, avoiding any type of chemicals if possible. Will screen like that used on doors and windows to keep mosquitos out work, will it block too much sun, is there a chance the screen itself is harmful for the plants?

Dirt:
I'm currently still building everything but once it's done, I'll need dirt. Do I drive to Home Depot and get a bunch of bags of any kind or is one brand better than the other, one safer than the other etc? Again, trying to stay as far away as possible from all kinds of chemicals and toxins as the legal limits in this country are usually far above what Europe allows (this goes for food, water and much more so I figured the same applies to dirt).

As you can tell, I'm as new as they get. Willing to learn but I want to make sure I do it right :)

Any help appreciated!

Comment (1)