Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chigardener

abbreviations in forums

ChiGardener
18 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone knows what "DH" stands for?

Dear Husband? I know SFG is square foot garden and not south facing garden, but that'd make sense had I not been in the SFG forum when i saw it! BF/GF was obviously boyfriend/girlfriend. I'm not sure if there're any others that I've come across and been a bit confused but not overly concerned. Unless it's something I really should know because it has something to do with gardening directly.

Thanks

Comments (18)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Try the link for your seemingly cryptic solutions.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: List of abbreviations

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

:) al is, as usual, both ahead of me, and possessed of more information...but you're right :)

this is one of the only places where DSL means 'dear son in law' instead of something computer related ;)

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

Checked the list, and I didn't see DH -Dear Husband; DW -Dear Wife (in both cases, "D" might have alternative meanings depending on context - if I say DH dug up and composted my new agastache [which he did last week], I assure you, 'dear' is not the appropriate adjective). SIL/DIL - Son/Daughter-in-law. Others will usually be in the forum's context, although SFG is used in almost all the forums. Sometimes there will be a temporary alliterative, especially when referring to plants with long or awkward names -- Hydrangea macrophylla might be used in the first posting, but odds are that following posters will just refer to H.

18 years ago

PMFJI, but FWIW, I didn't see GMAB either. IOW, some stuff is missing. IRL, we know SH. C U L8R.

Al

• pardalinum
    18 years ago

Here's another one to help fill in the gaps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Internet acronyms

• ChiGardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

wooooooow. Al, I don't know what all that second post was but I'm gonna go check it out now. well, cept for CU L8R. . .that's phone txt messaging lingo! My friend told me to stop being lazy and make sense with my txt messages. I told him I wasn't being lazy, I was being economical and thrifty!
    Y pay .20 for a msg I cud cut out d vwels on n snd 4 .10?

18 years ago

Y ndd?

Al

18 years ago

In case you're puzzling over the last, it's a reply to your question in the form of a question. It reads: Why indeedy? ;o)

Al

• heathentart
    18 years ago

Just my .02, FWIW, DH/DD/DS/DW - it's "darling" not "dear." Or has been since the Year Dot when I first used the bbs systems across the country. (1981)

You think the normal 'net abbreviations are tough, you should see the ones for soap- and toiletry-making.

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    18 years ago

I just assumed DH stood for dopey husband. ;-)

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

For me DH is usually Dear Hubby, but in most cases, it's Dorky Hubby, or another I can't say...

• ChiGardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DH can mean a couple, especially if the husband has done something bad or horrible!

is DOT DOT Matrix? if so you can thank my computer-building-for-sport bro for me knowing that. . .plus Spaceballs: The Movie. heh heh

• ChiGardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Al, I went to the link that Pardalinum listed to look up all your acronyms. . .funny funny. I feel like Ralphy and his Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Decoder in A Christmas Story!

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

Sorry, I learned them as 'dear' back in the 60's. Occurred to me later that 'darling' had become the usage... showing my age, I reckon. Also shows that while acronyms have their place, we better be sure we're speaking (writing?) the same jargon else we'll only be talking to ourselves.

• Jayman_GA
    18 years ago

I have found this web site helpful.
    Jayman

Here is a link that might be useful: Acronym search

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

LOL- (which I just recently learned is Laughing out loud) - I thought it was Divorced Hubby - But, somehow I knew that couldn't be right! lol

18 years ago

... and all this time I thought you guys were sending me Lots Of Love! I'm crushed & heartbroken to learn you were only laughing at me. :o(size>

Al

• ChiGardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Al:

LOL but . . . .LOL

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone