Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahelaumakani_gw

Zone 8b newbie needs a mentor

ahelaumakani
15 years ago

(I posted pretty much everything about my yard on my member page but I guess the formatting didn't work so it's a little difficult to read.)

I recently moved into an apartment with a small yard (big by apartment standards) and would like to plant a garden. Right now the yard is a mess of weeds, ill-placed plants and hard soil.

I want to set aside a spot for my two dogs to use the restroom , a vegetable garden for two, and flower beds. I also have a cement patio for potted plants but I'm not too good at keeping those alive.

Anyone willing to give advice/suggestions and let me bounce ideas off of them?

Comments (9)

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

I will be happy to give you some suggestions. Spend the summer months cleaning up and getting ideas via websites and library books and wait for fall the do the in-ground planting. Investigate lasagna gardening also called no-till gardening. This is a great way to build a garden and improve the soil. Also investigate square foot gardening, an excellent way to have veggies in small spaces. I would try to use drought tolerant plants. If watering is an issue, and in your zone (I'm originally from 9b) you will need to, esp. plants in their first year - you will not want plants that are thirsty. As far as containers or potted plants, watering is indeed very important for them. Also always use a very lightweight potting soil, I recommend the kind with fertilizer in it and also the water gel crystals to help retain water. Something like Miracle Gro or Schultz. They are more expensive than some other brands, but I always go to the large bag and if I can lift it fairly easily and it feels light and dry, I buy that brand. The fertilizer lasts several months, and it is easy to use the slow-release fertilizer granules in spring and summer. You will also need to investigate grasses. I am not sure if the dogs will go on a ground cover, my little poodle likes the grass short, she doesnt' like to go where things tickle her underside I guess. Virtually all grass will need to be mowed, but you could use a lightweight electric weedeater type thing. Are you in Texas? I think buffalo grass is a good one. I hope this helps some. Laurie

• vetivert8
    15 years ago

We may be talking different plants here: I call Tradescantia fluminensis 'wandering Jew' (on polite days). If we are agreed - then one outrageous thing to do is to decide where you want to dig in the fall - and make a big pile of wandering jew just there. Also any weeds you pull. Make a big, thick, freestyle compost heap. Deal with any bits that try to re-root by putting them on the top of the heap to dry and break down. Where you can, get the roots fully out to discourage regrowth. Please note: if your dogs are very low to the ground (like griffons or dachshunds) they might get contact dermatitis from Tradescantia on paws and tummies. It looks like a water bubble rash.

Do not add holly leaves (except right in the middle where they will stay damp and rot down).

Buy yourself a solid garden rake. See what's available at garage sales. You can often pick up good gear that way. And, if you can, get a decent garden sieve, for at least partly removing the debris in the soil. (Make sure your tetanus shots are up to date, too.) Plus a wheelbrrow the right size of you. A builder's barrow is generally NOT a good choice unless you want to make a batch of cement by hand for any reason.

You might want to consider fencing off the area you want for veggies. Dog paws are deeply attracted to new seedlings and fresh soil for the purpose of hiding cookies and bones for Later. Or taking naps in scrapes. It doesn't have to be flash, to start with, but it does need to gain the respect of the dogs. And it can also be used for vertical growing - peas, beans, tomatoes, melons and similar food crops.

If you're allowed to, and it is safe to do so, a pole pruner could be used to take back some of the overhanging branches and allow more light onto your garden. See if you can hire one for now. They can be an expensive luxury if you don't have regular work for one.

If you can trust your local tree feller fellers to not sell or gift you with mulch that resprouts fiend trees in your yard, then a couple of cubic yards used as mulch or weed control/soil builder can, over time, help to make your hard soil a lot more workable. Just remember to add a few handfuls of a general fertiliser to the surface of where you'll place it so the soil won't be robbed of nitrogen while the mulch breaks down.

• ahelaumakani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've started looking at books and websites for ideas - very overwhelming! I'll definitely have to be doing a lot of clean up so that will give me time to plan.

Yes, I'm in TX. I've been debating over the dog area. I'd like to get something permanent in ASAP because what's out there currently is pretty bad. There's a corner with deep shade all day where I was considering ground cover. They are tiny though so finding something low enough might be a problem. And I worry that pea gravel or mulch might hurt their feet. Or should I just sacrifice part of my sunny area and plant some sod?

I guess we're talking about something slightly different. I believe what I have is T. pallida.

Here's the layout.

Pictures:
    http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/ahelaumakani/Backyard/

Video walkthrough:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogPY1rAyh5Y

• ahelaumakani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oops, that should say "1 foot"

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

For the dogs, I think I would have a little space with grass. I have some areas of zoysia and it rarely needs mowing. I am not sure it any type of zoysia grows in Texas, but if you can contact your county agent, they could help you with grass. It is not hard to mow a small area with a reel mower (totally hand powered) or a weedeater. There are also things called "steppables" which I have found at some of the better garden center/nurseries, which are small and interesting looking and meant to be stepped upon. That is an option for the dog area. you would have to see what grows in sun/shade whatever the area you decide upon has. Unless you can positively identify the plants and decide you definitely want to keep them, I would probably start with a clean slate, deciding where yu want plants and where you want seating, etc, and then pick native or easy care plants and small trees/large shrubs, no big trees. Good luck.

• ahelaumakani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I looked up steppables but it doesn't look like any garden centers here sell them according to their site. Saw a deep shade seed mix on lowes.com so I think I'll try that first.

I'd like to get rid of everything but the large holly and the rose (if I can keep it alive). I have some ideas:

- a few hostas around the edges of the current "dirt" spot along with grass or mulch for the dogs

- a raised cinder block bed (4' X ?') for veggies in front of the patio with 3' paths all around

- some sort of climber along the fence

but other than that I'm stuck for the remaining areas.

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

Well you have a few options. The first is to go ahead and do the things you just mentioned and add garden areas later on. The other option is to try to have a grand plan on paper at least, and even if it takes you years to complete it you will know at least where your garden beds are going to go. I have enjoyed reading the Renegade Gardener website recently, I suggest you visit there. Even tho he's in Minnesota, his design mistakes to avoid are valuable and funny. The third option, the best one, I think, is to hire a landscape designer to work with you to draw up a plan, you can then implement the design over years. In retrospect, I really wish I had done this, however after Hurricane Katrina I had no money for that. So I did what I have always done and just design as I go and over time it does all seem to fit. Even though I do move things around which I wish I didn't have to do. Still, if you look at it as a hobby, and good exercise and communing with nature, even when you are changing and re-designing, with the right attitude, it's still fun!
    Good luck. Laurie

• laura_fl
    12 years ago

I am moving to zone 8b (Gainesville, FL) in June and will be facing the same situation. A small fenced townhome yard that is currently mostly barren/just has weeds. On top of this the yard is very shaded by the townhomes and large trees. I will have one large tree in the middle of the yard. I am hoping for some input on good groundcover and shade tolerant plants for the yard. I am interested in growing food as well and would like to know what vegetables might tolerate the relatively low light. Thanks!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Laura, you should be able to get many answers to your questions by visiting the FL, shade, and veggie forums. But, unless you are going to start ordering specific plants through the internet/mail, deciding what you want to buy before you go shopping can be frustrating. They usually don't have it.

When you get to your new place, go to a garden center or 2 - not a chain store - and ask to see the shade plants. Then go home and look up pictures and info on google (or preferred search thingie) if you are not sure what they will look like later or how big they should get. Then you can make a plan of plants you know are available and go get them.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus