Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly Bush

Posted by
Kathy in
(kathyl748@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 2:53

I do not know the botanical name, but I do know its a butterfly bush. All I have is dead limbs. Most of them you can break,a few you cannot. Is it hopeless? My husband and I are new to this. He didnt want to cut it back last year. Do you think its dead? I appreciate all of your input. Thanks, Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly Bush

Ummmm, Kathy, if you do not have any leaves (or see any new growth) this time of year, it's probably a goner. You might want to pick a couple areas somewhere near the base and scratch them. If you don't see any green, you have probably lost it.

I live in Z4, and have had a butterfly bush for a few years. Here, it dies down to the ground and I prune it down to about 6 inches late spring---but, when it comes back, it is more like a plant on steroids. Doesn't get like a shrub or bush---but, it does very nice. Lotsa blooms, smells nice. Unfortunately, with the winter we had (no snow cover, for the most part) it did not survive. I will probably replace it when I get a chance.

o

I am really no help but I do want to say something about butterfly bushes. I cut mine down in February, but I never get a bush. Mine always looks like a tree. I always imagined that it would be bushy, but there is a very thich stem - is that normal? Thanks

o

If you still have some green in the stem cut the dead part off and make sure it gets enough water. Good Luck with it!
I am in Zone 7 and got my 3 little (6") plants 3 years ago. I now have 6 large ones and 12 new ones started and have given many away. My largest was cut back to about 2' during the fall and now it is about 12' and then when a bloom is finished I cut it off and it will still grow and have blooms all through summer and most of fall. Very easy to get new ones, when I pune, I just stick some of the limbs in the ground and most of them will root of the soil is pretty good.
Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here