Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! What is this gross yellow foamy/spongy stuff?

Posted by orangecat Mid-Atlantic (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 05 at 8:47

This morning when I left my house and was getting in my car, I looked at my front garden and noticed this really disgusting looking yellow foamy/spongy stuff in two spots in my garden---around the trunk of a redbud and underneath a mum. The two spots are a few feet away from each other, and there was none of this stuff in between or anywhere else in the garden (at least that I saw in my frenzy to get to work). I used a trowel to scoop it away. It's a very spongy/foamy substance that is a strong yellow in color. Does anybody have any idea what this is or what I should do about it? (I don't know if it makes any difference but it has been very humid here and we had strong thunderstorms last night so it was very wet this morning. But I haven't seen this stuff before and I didn't see it in any of my neighbors' gardens.) Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! What is this gross yellow foamy/spongy stuff?

slime mold, most likely- they run the gamut from the consistency of mousse to that of a gummy bear left out in the rain for a few days- they're both gelatinous, and a bit fluffy.

they're harmless, rare, and really kind of cool- they creep, and look like tiny rainbow versions of 'the blob' I like the orange ones best...

but it's ok if you scooped it up and tossed it, you're not going to upset the environment or anything.

o

Search for dog vomit fungus. It's yucky but harmless/ just scrape it off with a shovel and pitch it. More may show up.

o

How cool is that! Thanks for posting (and asking), I'd been wondering what that was in my mulch too. I'd assumed it was a type of slime mold (dog vomit is a great name for it). I like stepping on it when it forms spores, sort of like a flat puff ball mushroom.
Kent

o

But not rare....judging by the zillions of posts in some years! Maybe you are the first this year to spy the ubiquituous slime mold called dog vomit!

o

I have some this morning also and then ran across this post. YUCK. But should I leave it there? I found some sites that said it is beneficial and others that just say it won't cause any harm.

If it doesn't really do anything, it's out of here, but if it's doing a good job at something I can tolerate it for awhile.

Funny though, when I saw it I wondered what the cat ate.

o

Some of us would say that it is beneficial in that it is one of the 'recycling' organisms. It's turning your mulch into the elements that can be taken up by plants. So, it has a job to do. I don't think you would upset the balance of the universe, though, if you stirred it up with a rake to make it disappear!

o

I have found these patches that are kind of foamy but firmish. When you step on them a black poder pours out of it. Is this the same thing? I hit one with the hose and the poder was airborn and visible for a while. A little alarming to see and I could only imagine that it is a fungus of some sort. Very strange.

o

Sounds similar to what I have. And they keep coming back--especially after it rains. After they've been there a couple days and dry out a bit, they get harder. And yes, if you do try to move them dispose of them, they have a tendency to break/collapse and spread spores everywhere. So, since they apparently are harmless (and keep coming back again and again!), I gave up on that. I still haven't gotten to the accepting-it-as-a-beautiful-part-of-nature stage though--lol--and I'm sure my neighbors wonder what we're doing to that garden....

o

If you want to get rid of the mold, I've used Safer garden fungicide to kill it when it started taking over my barrel planters. It crept up the side of the barrel and started drowning my dianthus.... Very yucky!

o

I have this too so I'm glad I now know what it is.
There are patches of it on every part of my property that is mulched.
First year I've had the pleasure (not) to experience it.

Is it related to the mulch I chose to use this year or would it have happened regardless?
Reason I ask is because I used a new mulch supplier this year. It did not come from my usual source.

Thanks

o

We had a pile of that too a few weeks ago. The first time we saw it, my four year old asked if the neighbor's dog threw up in our yard. After we discovered what it was, the kids were thrilled and went to check on it every few days to see if it would grow. But it has disappeared since and hasn't reappeared. Bummer, the kids thought it was one of the coolest thing we found in the backyard.

o

I have this orange foamy/spongy stuff oozing between the lanolium and outer wall of my bath room. It looks like a sponge that would be found in the ocean. I won't be so worried if it's the same thing. But I would like to know; "How do I get rid of it and why is it growing in my bath room?"

o

You'd have to post a good picture, janie.

o

I got the fright of my life this morning when I woke up and found this yellowish spongy mold growing on the edges of my stoop! We bought this house a few months ago and have basically rebuilt the whole house from scratch! We are levelling the front garden so there is just sand everywhere, and this is where this mold seems to be growing! I assumed it could make us sick so I pored jik on it and scooped it away, but after I moved it I noticed it had a verry "bloody" base! Freaky!!! I wonder if it is the same thing you guys are talking about?

o

While having my master bedroom refinished a very slow roof leak was discovered. I had to have it sealed on the outside and on the inside in the attic was this very large yellow sponge like structure. I thought it was mold at first so pulled it all out and threw it away. After I did my research though and learned that it eats mold and bacteria and is not really a mold itself I realized that it actually protected my house from mold and was part of the reason why some of the water damage was minimized. It apparently crawled in through the tiny hole when a tree hit the house more than 2 years ago and I only found the leak today which should emphasize just how much of a benefit it was to have around. Then I learned that they move and have animal like intelligence despite lacking a nervous system so I decided to dig it out of the trash, give it a bowl to live in, and make a pet out of it.

Doesn't look that pretty right now, but I plan to document how it develops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Pet Slime Mold

o

I also have this strange looking yellow stuff growing in my yard (grass). It starts out like bright yellow slime with a spider web attached to the grass and then it starts growing, looking like yellow cauliflower. It grows real fast and on the 2nd day or so, it turns white and it you step on it, black powder explodes out of it. It looks to me like black spores maybe. Is this like anyone else;s grass or garden? I have never seen any thing like this before. Yucky, like out of a horror movie.

o

sherryd0049, you need to post a picture of it, and your best results would come from starting your own thread, preferably in the Name That Plants forum here on Gardenweb, rather than adding to a very old thread. I hope to see you and a picture in Name That Plant soon!

o

here is what it looks like

o

here is what it looks like

o

here is another

o

these are different ones growing in my front yard

o

these are different ones growing in my front yard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here