Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
appletreasure

math challenged

appletreasure
18 years ago

I am always confused by directions that say to apply ? for every 12(I couldn't get the little two to stay at the top of the twelve- please read twelve with a square two) metres.

Does that mean 12 square metres-which would be an area 12 x 12?

Or, 12 sqare metres which would be an area 2 x 6 ?

Thanks for your help

Comments (10)

• lindac
    18 years ago

12 square meters is an area 12 meters by 12 meters.
    Linda C

• socks
    18 years ago

12 square meters would be an area 2x6, or 3x4, etc.

If it was an area 12x12, that would be 144 square meters

I'm also math challenged, but I think the above is correct.

Susan

• lindac
    18 years ago

But.....as apple said it was represented....as 12 with the super 2....indicating "twelve squared" it would be 12 by 12. My terms were wrong...12 square meters is 12 squares each a meter on a side put together...12 squared meters is 12 by 12....
    AARGH...About to write it by hand and scan it in!!
    Linda C

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

12 sq m. are 12 squares each, 1m x 1m (e.g.)

12 m square is a plot 12 m on each side which = 144 sq m

For your directions it is an area 2 x 6 or 4 x 3 (e.g.).

Al

• appletreasure
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just to clarify, if I get this wrong I would seriously over or under apply the application,
    12-with the superscript 2-meters is 12 square m is 12 squares, with each square being a metre by a metre?
    thanks

• lindac
    18 years ago

No....the superscript means you square the number....so 12 squared is 144....in the US.
    I can see no reason for instructions for spray being given that way.....so better check with someone else in New Zealand.
    Linda C

• loneranger
    18 years ago

I'm assuming the label read:
    12^2 metres, where "^2" indicates that it is a superscript.

This is technically 144 meters, not 12 square meters. This would be a typo because it means 144 linear meters (i.e. in a straight line). This makes no sense.

On the other hand, "12 meters^2" means 12 square meters, which could be 1m x 12m, 2m x 6m, 3m x 4m, etc. It's simple algebra: you multiply the numbers together, and then you multiply the "m" together. Thus, 2m x 6m = (2 x 6) x (m x m), which is 12m^2.

• oregon_veg
    18 years ago

Like this?

12ª

Tom

• appletreasure
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My apologies to everyone. I misremembered the instructions between the shed and the computer.
    15ml (1tablespoon) in 2 litres over 12 metres squared- is the exact wording.
    Now I am still perplexed beacause now I think it is 12 metres by 12 metres but the amount of applicatin doesn't seem like enough for that large an area.

• loneranger
    18 years ago

12 meters squared is the same as 12 square meters: 1m x 12m, 2m x 6m, or 3m x 4m, etc. 2 liters is not an unreasonable amount to use in such a small area.

12m x 12m is actually 144 meters squared (i.e. 144 square meters).

Here's the easiest way to envision this:

Imagine you have a square piece of wood. Each side is 1m long. It covers 1 meter squared. Now put 12 of these together. You have 12 pieces of wood, each covering 1 meter squared. 12 x 1 = 12. Thus, you are now covering 12 meters squared.

Sponsored