Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is a lasagna garden

Posted by KatrinaG 5 IN (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 9:19

I keep seeing lasagna gardens referred to in the various forums. Just wondered what they are??

Thanks!

Katrina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is a lasagna garden

This explains it all.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: lasagna gardening

o

Actually, Linda, this link does not explain it all. This is where you can buy the books about Lasagna Gardening. Perhaps you could give us a brief summary of the technique and how it works.

o
oops!!!

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 13:36

Sorry.....wrong link!!
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: lasagna gardening 101

o

Linda,

Thank you. That article was very interesting. That sounds like something I need to do in a space between two trees that I've been wanting to get ready for planting (my condo association's mowers do not take very good care of this spot and it's right in my line of site from my patio). But the thought of digging up the grass and then digging up the clay to loosen it and mix it with potting soil has kept me from actually accomplishing it. I think I will try a lasagna garden instead. I take it whatever I plant there this year needs to have shallow roots, right? So maybe if I just sprinkle a packet of wildflower seeds this year, and put in something more substantial next year.

o

The Soil, Compost, Mulch forum has very informative details about lasagna bed/sheet compost building. Patricia Lanza's method was not actually unique. There is no need to use the exact recipe she prescribed, for example peat moss. It is considered non renewable resource and it supposedly contributes no nutrients to the soil anyway, so there is really no need for it in a bed. Other organic materials will work much better at no cost to you.

Please check out the SCM forum, especially the FAQ.
Have fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creating beds without tilling

o

My husband & I love our lasagna garden. We've done this for only 2 yrs., but what a time saver. We go to a local construction company and pick up their used boxes to put directly on the soil - then we place grass clippings and water down. We do this for approximately 3 weeks with fresh grass clipping and watering. Then when it's time to plant just cut a hole through the cardboard for produce and bury in the soil. You will have to continue to put grass clippings upon some weeds that will sneak through. I only suggest this type of a garden for tomatoes, gourds, cuks, melons. Tradition garden for beens, herbs, etc. works better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here