Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhizomes

Posted by
Katrina Indiana
(trinkrdink@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 9:55

I received some calla lily rhizomes yesterday. Not sure whether to plant them with the smooth or the bumpy side up.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhizomes

No replies yet?

I don't know the answer, but you might post on the Bulbs forum.

Best luck!

sylvia

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 15:03

The bumpy part goes up. Strangely enough, the roots & shoots come out of the same side of the rhizomes.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Come on, I'll show you what I'm talking about.

o

Thank you!

o

Okay, I went and flipped them over. Now the bumpy sides are down. Hope I didn't confuse the poor things in the meantime!! :)

o

Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 17:33

I'm wondering why you asked?

Al

o

Al,

I had bought calla lily bulbs and the directions didn't specify which way was right-side up. Didn't want to kill them by putting them in the wrong way (which I did, it turns out).

Katrina

o

I hope they're not dizzy when they come up!

o

Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 7:04

Why put the bumpy sides down?

Al

o

Al,

Because I'm brand new to gardening and didn't know if it was more "important" to the bulbs for the roots to come out or for the later plants. So I figured I had a 50/50 chance guessing. I was wrong. :(

Katrina

o

Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 10:35

Bumps go up. ;o)

Good luck.

Al

o

Skybird,

I hope not too! What do you think a dizzy calla looks like? Maybe shaped like an exclamation point instead of a trumpet?! Or maybe they'll send one lone little shoot out to reconnoiter and report back when it sees the light of day?

o

• Posted by Skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 12:09

LOL!

o

When in doubt, plant sideways!

o

That's too funny! I'm new with callas too and I lifted my calla rhizomes for the first time from their containers last fall. When i started them last night, I said "what the heck?? What direction do these things go in?" Luckily, I had one that had a green shoot popping out of the bumpy side, so I figured that must point up!
Good to know i guessed right... rhizomes can be confusing for those of us used to bulbs and corms only :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here