Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New and like advice please

Posted by luv2dig Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 10:21

I'm new and just started to plant/garden.. My question is: I pulled up 2 big Hibiscus trees that were on each side of our flowerbeds by front door. My hubby would like to find something tall again~ perhaps, spiral bushes??? I would like to post pics but, don't know how.. If someone could help that way I can explain it better. On one side of the flowerbed the prev owners have a big bush and some staggly looking bushes that look horrible. (don't know names) But, I'm just trying to focus on one bed at a time ya know?? so far, I have planted 3 Dwarf hollyberry bushes and in between begonias~ and an Oleander in the middle. I think I need something else but, hubby doesn't want alot of different flowers. He says there needs to be Balance. Help???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New and like advice please

Ok~ i think I posted a pic.. This is the front of our house and need ideas for the right flowerbed and what to put on either side of front door.

Here is a link that might be useful: house

o

You might try the design forum.

o

You've got a very attractive front door. Before you plant too close to it you might want to consider making a much bigger welcoming entry with paving and such so that family groups can gather before they enter your house. A 'grand welcome'.

Also think safety - so the entry remains open to view and any paving you put down doesn't get the chance to grow a winter surface of algae.

o

I need to know what USDA zone you are in to recommend shrubs for you and also if the location gets morning or afternoon sun or is it mostly shady. For example, only a few types of oleander are hardy here in Coastal Louisiana.

o

• Posted by Dancey Zone 8b Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 20:10

It looks like the shrub by the shovel might be a Mexican Sage bush. If it is it will have lots of lavendar colored flowers on it. They are very drought tolerant.

Where in Texas are you? Zone?

Dancey

o

Here's alink for you; post it there and you'll get a million ideas...also Texas is a big place, tell us the area!
:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Forum

o

What are the best "full sun" plants/flowers to plant? The front of my house is like a kiln from 9am-1pm. Thx.

o

• Posted by Skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 21:15

I agree, post on the Texas Forum---it's a real down-home friendly place! And here's a link to a Zone Map so you can figure out what zone you're in.

Good luck,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Zone Map

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here