Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden hose questions

Posted by Violet.West none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 12:58

so, I bought a hose . . . my first! I had to look on YouTube to figure out how to coil it, I'm such a newbie! My questions:

First, my hose leaks from the connection to the faucet when it's on. It leaks a lot, and we're in a desert, so I am wasting water. Am I doing something wrong? I'm sure it's screwed on pretty well, but I kind of don't want to screw it on as tight as I possibly could, because I'm afraid I won't be able to unscrew it.

Also, when turning it off, it briefly sprays a lot of water from the connection, but a friend of mine told me, "it's supposed to do that." Is that correct?

I'm also worried about water from the hose damaging my stucco exterior (from the leaking/shutting off). Is there anything I can do to protect the exterior wall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden hose questions

There should be a rubber/plastic/silicone washer in the female end of the hose. If there isn't one, or if it's not too good, which seems like the case, go to a hardware store and get a couple rubber washers. They usually come several to a package and cost a couple of bucks. It sounds like you've got pretty strong water pressure, so try not turning the spigot on full blast.

o

Hmm -- I'll have to look at it for the washer. It's a brand new hose, good quality so not sure why that would be an issue. And it does leak when turned on as a "trickle" too.

o

The washer is supposed to come with the hose but sometimes comes loose and is lost.

Other times, the washer is somewhat stiff so doesn't do the job it should.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here