Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vidyap7

Rose support

vidyap7
17 years ago

Hi,

I posted on the rose forum but did not receive any answers. Maybe it was too basic?

Anyway, I would appreciate it if I could get some help with my roses. I had planted a rose plant about 6 years ago. I did not provide any support. It flowers throughout the summer and is very eye-catching (I have problems with Japanese Beetle, but that's another post). But the problem is that the branches are flopping over because of the weight of the blooms.

What kind of support should I put in? It is in my front foundation planting, against a fake stone front wall. My husband wouldn't let me drill anything to the wall itself. So, I'm guessing it has to be some kind of an arbor or trellis. How can I put that trellis in the ground now, at this late stage? Won't I hurt the rose roots?

Also, how do I avoid getting hurt by the thorns? What kind of gloves should I wear and is there something I can put over the rose plant itself to contain them and not poke out?

And when would be the right time to do this? Now, when it is blooming? Or in fall or spring?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

VP

Comments (2)