Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poppies

Posted by juj207 5, Standish, Mi (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 15:31

Hi I have the big double orange poppies, they are all done blooming and I would like to save some of the seeds. Do I have to wait until the pods turn brown and dry up or can I cut them now and let then dry hanging upside down or in a brown bag. My family would like some. I tried digging some plants up but the roots go way down and the ones I dug up and planted died.
Any help will be appricated.
Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poppies

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 15:50

Hi Julie...The perennial oriental poppies then?

Let the seeds ripen in the pod on the plant, then collect them.

o

Julie

From what little I know of poppies they don't like being disturbed. I think more mature plants handle it better though.
Heather__MI

o

my mom used to tie a paper bag over the seedheads, and she'd shake it every day or so until she heard the seeds rattling around in there.

:) hmm...hamentaschen (a cookie with a poppyseed filling)

o

• Posted by juj207 5, Standish, Mi (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 9:40

I want to thank all for the info about poppies, it helped a lot.
So thanks again all you beautiful people.
Julie

o

Poppies have a long - very long - taproot, and most won't live if you cut it off when transplanting. That taproot is also why, if you start them from seed, you should use a very deep pot. I've measured baby poppy plants that were less than an inch tall, and they had 4" of taproot. However, in the garden, I have had success in transplanting small orientals (less than 5" across) in late fall by using a long shovel and lifting the whole mass of soil & root as a unit. I don't know whether the success rate is because the taproot isn't much more than 12" long or whether it gives the plants the winter to recover (but keep in mind that my z6b winter is probably lots milder and shorter than yours).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here