Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vpost02176

Help identifying an entire garden? (Round 2)

vpost02176
18 years ago

Hi,

A few years ago, I purchased a home formerly owned by an enthusiastic gardener who planted many beautiful perennials. Unfortunately, the home then was bought by a family who didn't put nearly as much time and effort maintaining the garden. When I purchased the home from them, the beds were completely overgrown and weedy. I am fairly new to perennial gardening and would like to try to figure out what I have, figure out what are weeds and what aren't, and start bringing back the garden to something close to its former glory.

I posted to this group a couple weeks ago, and got a tremendous response (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/newgard/msg0622410219888.html), so I thought I'd try a second round with plants that have since come into bloom.

The new round of pictures are posted at: http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=14708293208.

Generally, I've tried to take one picture of the plant and its surroundings so that you can see its growing habit, as well as close-ups of flowers and leaves. I've also labeled plants that I know the names of...generally, I only know common names, but if you can provide more specific names, I'd appreciate the additional information.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of plants for ID

Comments (12)

• lindac
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Once more!!....better than weeding my own garden LOL!
    1. a tiny bit of heuchera
    2 looks like some Siberian iris and a tulip
    Looks like a seed pod of something....maybe one of the tulips?
    3 euonomous....of a varigated sort....watch for scale insect on this one.
    4.right!
    5. See!! I told you it was polemonium!
    6. Yep dicentra spectablis
    7. Right again....lovely varieties!
    8. Astilbe
    9. Spirea Anthony Waterer
    10...yep that's a rose....maybe one called Betty Prior...or Nearly Wild
    11. yep another rose
    12. a red one this time
    13 yep...
    14. Honey suckle?
    15. Privet....smells wonderful!
    16 deutzia?
    17.Mock Orange...
    18 hydrangea....don't know what kind
    19 violet
    20 looks like a campanula of some sort.
    21 ???
    22. weed for sure
    23. weed in the crack of the side walk! LOL!
    24. looks almost like a mineature rose? Does it show buds and thorns?
    25 Barberry
    26 Rhodo
    27 Right
    28 right
    Well....only a couple of mystries left!
    Linda C

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

I'm wondering if 21 could be Scabiosa caucasica. If it is it will throw up a taller stem and produce soft blue, or white flowers a little later in the season.

• debbie_bussartlaw_com
    18 years ago

Picture 01 in round 2 looks like Columbine to me.

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

I think my #'s are a tad messed up here!

4-5) Euronymus - Emerald Gaiety
    27) Eupatorium - Joe Pye Weed??
    33) Try 'Nearly Wild' - is it very thorny?
    46) Mountain honeybells? - I forget the exact name.
    1) Heuchera or Ladies mantle
    2) Iris with Daylilies?
    51) Privet
    55) Viburnum

Looks like you would live around me - we have a lot of the same things around my place! Nice gardens!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    18 years ago

I agree with Linda on many of these:
    1. heuchera
    2. tulip in center w/seedpod (break off so energy goes into bulb not seeds) and daylilies around edge (iris of any kind grows in a flat fan like the other iris you had - this doesnt appear to)
    3. euonomous - will crawl slowly forever, including up trees, walls & houses
    4. nice variety of columbine you have
    5. polemonium

1. dicentra
      7. peony - the white one is probably festiva maxima (sp?) an oldfashioned, sweet smelling variety thatÂs full white w/red flecks
      8. Astilbe with sensitive fern in the background
    2. Spirea
      10-12 You could try these roses onÂname that rose forum, but youÂd also want clear pictures of stems to show the thorns or lack of
      13. I agree w/ Sedum acre
      14. Leaves and flowers look like Deutzia, but itÂs big (though Dirr says some kinds grow to 10Â) It isnÂt Halesia (silverbells)which has leavesalternate and yours are opposite, and it doesnÂt look like honeysuckle to me, either the leaves (honeysuckle is oval and smooth edged) or the flowers (honeysuckle is asymetrical)
      15 can you take pitures of open flowers on this and 14?
      16 spirea nipponica ÂsnowmoundÂ
      17 mock orange Philadelphis coronarius
      18 hydrangea - post pictures when it blooms
      19 violet -will spread
      20 are there different leaves at the base of the plant? repost when blooming please
      21 repost if it blooms
      22 no idea
      23 maybe aster, maybe weed - repost when itÂs bigger
      24 astilbe?
      25 barberry - thorny, ungainly, and self-seeds - I know you didnÂt ask for opinions, but hereÂs mine anyhow - rip it out
      26 probably Rhododendron ÂRoseum elegansÂ
  • vpost02176
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All -

Thanks very much for the input in my second round of name that garden! My apologies for taking so long to reply, but I've been off traveling this week.

I've updated the names on the pictures posted on-line and have included some additional comments below:

1 - Of course. I should have noticed the similarities in the leaves with my other heuchera. What threw me off was that my other heuchera is blooming like crazy, while this one doens't seem particularly happy. Do I need to get this into full sun?

2 - I suspected this may be a tulip, but I thought tulips were history (leaves and all) by June? What looks like daylily leaves is, I think, spiderwort grown amuck.

3 - Thanks for the correction on this. I've been calling it my bed of English Ivy.

4 - Do the different colors of the columbine typically have different names? Or, are they typically referred to as just purple, white, and blue columbine?

7 - I think you're right about the festiva maxima. I found some pictures on-line that look exactly like some other blooms I had...white with a splash of crimson in the center. (You can't really see the red in the photo I posted.)

9 - I'm impressed you were able to identify the Spirea Anthony Waterer from the lousy pictures I posted. It looks like in the next few days to a week, this is going to burst into bloom...pink clusters of tiny flowers that look like other pics I found on-line. Nice work!

10-12 - I'll try to post these on the name that rose forum. Thanks for the pointer.

14 - Perhaps Deutzia Scabra (Fuzzy Deutzia)? I posted some additional pictures (4) of this in full flower at: http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=14708293208&photoid=78925755208&&refreshkey=1119745502574

15 - This does produce a black round berry after flowering, so I'm thinking it's a Ligustrum Sinense (Chinese Privet). Does this seem right to you? I've posted some additional pictures (4) of flowers as they start to open at: http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=14708293208&photoid=22493755208&&refreshkey=1119745502574

18 - I thought hydrangeas were large flowering shrubs? This one seems to die back to the ground during the winter, and grows no more than a couple of feet tall. Anyway, it's still not in full flower yet, but I've posted a few more pictures (3) of the flowers as they develop and a close-up of the stem at: http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=14708293208&photoid=71045755208&&refreshkey=1119745502574. The stems have a spotted appearance, and look like they have leprosy. Is this a typical characteristic, or do they indeed have some sort of disease?

19 - Voilets have been a real problem in my garden/lawn as they're very invasive and difficult to pull out by hand. (I found I have to get underneath the soil to get at a little white "node", otherwise I can't get at the roots.) And, it's impossible to hand weed out of the lawn. Any suggestions on this one?

20 - Well, this plant, which I've been tempted to rip out for quite some time because I thought it was a weed, finally started to bloom. Linda suggested campanula (perhaps Campanula Persicifolia?). I posted some additional pictures (3) at: http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=14708293208&photoid=85976755208&&refreshkey=1119745502574 for confirmation.

21 - No flowers yet, but I'll be out with my camera when/if it starts to bloom.

24 - No buds or thorns yet, but there is a very small hairy structure where a branch meets the stem. I've posted a picture of this (1) at: http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=14708293208&photoid=29916755208&&refreshkey=1119745502574.

25 - Barberry, eh? Thanks very much for the opinion...I've received many a scratch from this beast, and you're right, it gets into the lawn, self-seeds in the beds. I'm not terribly fond of it, and am going to rip out all the smaller ones that I now suspect are volunteers that have self-seeded.

Thanks again for all the help!

Vic

• lindac
    18 years ago

1 It's likely a self seeded heuchera and still a baby. Next spring transplant it into more sun.
    2 Tulip foliage lasts ofent until July!!
    I'll bet that day lily foliage is not transcendedtia....looks a lot lkie day lily to me.
    4. Columbine have different names....as well as being named by color. Do a google and see.
    14 perhaps scabra......troo tall for gracilis

• lindac
    18 years ago

Did not mean to post that yet!!!!
    Hydrangea comes in many varieties...some die to the ground where you are.....
    But I am 99% sure it's a hydrangea.
    20....that is a canmpaula rapunucloides....or something spelled similarly!!....bad invasive spreading plant!! You will never get rid of it....the best you can hope for to to keep it at bay!
    24. a rose of some sort.....looks like a mineature.
    Linda C

• vpost02176
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Linda C - thanks for the valuable information! Once again, you've come through. As for the canmpaula rapunucloides, I'm assuming you'd recommend I get rid of it. Is hand-weeding the best way to do things? I was wondering why this was popping up all over my garden in unexpected places.

Thanks
    Vic

• lindac
    18 years ago

I have been dealing with it for about 30 years....I don't know how to get rid of it outside of spraying roundup over your whole garden. It gets into the middle of a clump of stuff. I once took all my daylilies apart ( luckily there weren't as many as I have now)....I dug each one, washed all the soil off the roots....and pulled out any trace of that blasted creeping bell flower.....replanted it in another place.....and simply spread the bell flower to another spot!
    I just go through the gardens every few days and pull every speck of the stuff I see....
    Between that and the lysmachia.....AARGH!
    Good luck!
    Linda C

• vpost02176
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I went out and dug up as much of the creeping bellflower as I could with a pitch fork...I was amazed to bring up roots like small white carrots. No wonder when I hand weeded it in other spots, it just came right back...I must have been breaking it just below the soil surface and leaving the majority of the root. From Linda C's experience, it sounds like I'm in for a battle.

As for the violet, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get rid of it? In my perennial beds, I also dug up as much as I could with a little three-pronged cultivator, bringing up some surprisingly large white tuberous roots. In my lawn, however, is another matter. I can't really hand-dig them up without destroying my lawn, and it's everywhere. Suggestions?

• lindac
    18 years ago

I have a "bad knife" a sort of short bladed all purpose kitchen knife. Just poke the blade in the ground, give a twist ant pop that violet out....
    Works very will in the lawn too....but...WOW it's a big job!!
    Don't ya just love that carrot root?....ARGH!
    Linda C