Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capbob

4 spider plants in one pot?

capbob
11 years ago

Hello, I've got a question about a spider plant(s) I recently bought from Lowes. There are 4 separate spider plants in the one pot. Is it ok to leave them like that or should I separate them out into their own pots?

Here's a picture.

http://i.snipq.com/6pdq0f.jpg

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

The root system of Chlorophytum is very large, tuberous, and fast growing. I'd divide these plants up before they really begin crowding each other.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb. Your pic:

{{gwi:1058320}}

In decades of keeping spider plants, I've learned that the huge roots fill up about any size pot quickly and about 2 years is the longest one can go before the crowded roots cause a decline in health. So I usually put many in a single pot because I just prefer that type of appearance and because each individual plant only makes a few flower stalks, if more than one. I like for there to be a LOT of stalks which means lots of babies hanging from a single pot.

A single plant will fill up the pot with roots about as fast as a group of 3-5. Since I know I'll be repotting (remove all large tubers and long roots, put back in same pot with fresh soil) every year, I like for them to look full "from the beginning."

Spider plant is not terribly fussy, so your options are numerous with this plant. Just depends on how you want to do it. If you decide to leave them crowded, just be on the lookout for signs that the roots have become too crowded and be ready to repot. (Wilting often, brown leaf tips, fading colors.)

Whatever you'd like to do, it's probably a good idea to remove the pot to see what's going on in there. Depending on how long ago the pot was put together, there could be crowded roots already. The plants look good, but if you look now, you'll know what has changed when you look again in the future.

That looks like one of those hanging pots with a raised drain hole in the middle, about 1/2" above the true bottom of the pot. Those pots can be a death sentence to plants that can get root rot from sitting in undrained water, no matter how "good" the "soil" might be. I use a pruner to snip 2-3 holes at the bottom of these pots. It's easy to take a triangular chunk out of the bottom near the drainhole or around the outside of the bottom. I always take the plastic riser out of these pots too. No need to waste that potential root space.

There's a house plant forum on here also. Come on over there if you have any further house plant questions, or just to read more spider plant or other discussions.

You didn't ask, but I'm concerned about your cactus. It looks like its' pot is full of a lot of peat. Not always easy to tell that kind of thing from a pic, though...

• Toni Miller
    2 years ago

Plant is crowded, brown tips, roots are coming out the bottom. Can l repot in winter

• Toni Miller
    2 years ago

This is the 7th spider plant and they all die help

• nancyjane_gardener
    2 years ago

Toni Separate that puppy! Unless it's outside, you can divide it at any time!

I have so many that I'm taking the pups down to the community gardens for free PU!

I'll be separating the mother plant into, probably 4 plants in a couple of weeks and giving them away!

Good luck!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH