Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxboro_gw

wilting butterfly bush

roxboro
18 years ago

I have a silverleafed butterfly bush- it was a volunteer. It has been doing well, however, recently several of the leaves (from certain branches) began to wilt. I cut these off. I had one which died from these symptoms a couple of years ago. Any suggestions? A parasite? Fungus? Please help-

Comments (7)

• gabehart
    18 years ago

I don't know what zone you're in but if it's the NE USA this heat wave was a bummer. The air temperature was giving the newly sprouted plants a run for the money. Our BB bush was silting and I just kept giving it cool water.
    Are there crispy leaves or other problems showing?

• roxboro
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm in NC, Zone 7- There are no other signs of problems. It's strange, it's only leaves from certain branches. I will try giving it cool water. Thanks for the advice, any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

• vickimavis_optonline_net
    18 years ago

I'm new to gardening but loving every minute. But wow do I have a lot to learn! I live in Fairfield County, CT and after spending my first year in our new house, couldn't wait to get started planting. So among other things, I planted a beautiful butterfly bush and two endless summer variety hydrangeas on a very hot 90 degree sunny day in June. They were healthy and full of blooms when I planted them, but barely a month later, they are now wilting; the butterfly bush which I planted in full sun and did not religiously water, has only a couple of blossoms and most of the leaves have turned brown and are falling off; the 'endless summer' hydrangea mock me: I have regularly watered them but....the blooms have wilted and are brown along with their brown mottled leaves. I have the Nikko blue variety of hydragea bushes right next to the endless summer ones and they are doing fine, though they are inexplicably pink....I had a landscaper plant them, but thought I would get blue blossoms...I have read up on the acidity necessary for the soil and will try adding aluminum sulphate.

But is it likely that the heat is the culprit here? The weather this summer has been pretty extreme, moving from a very cold late spring into a sudden heat wave of temperatures....my first attempts at gardening are not as 'showy' as I'd hoped. Maybe these bushes will revive by next spring?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• vickimavis_optonline_net
    18 years ago

Anyone have advice for encouraging an old but otherwise healthy (based on vine and leaf growth) wisteria to bloom in Fairfield County, CT? This is the second summer I haven't seen anything, and I've had local landscapers and tree experts take a look, but not offer any solutions. The only thing I can think might be a factor is that it climbs up our pergola but is situated in the shade of a large hemlock tree...but if there was too much shade, I would think it would be difficult to get the leaves and new shoots to form, which isn't the case. I also have a blooming lilac which is pretty healthy just a few feet away...so soil doesn't seem to be an issue or too much shade. I did read somewhere that Martha Stewart some issues ago in her magazine advocated 'stimulating the roots'of dormant wisteria vines to encourage blooms...but I have no details on how to accomplish this.
    I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

• mamasquirrel2003_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

We have 2 white butterfly bushes and all the leaves on both bushes are wilting. They have many flowers on them and they are wilty as well. Our other BB (purple and pink) appear to be fine. Have tried the cool water, no help. Any other suggestions. Thanks in advance, we are/were looking forward to seeing butterflies.

• janice7827_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Becky, I see you wrote this in '06. It is 5 years later, and now I'm having this problem. Did your bushes ever recover? Mine are all wilted, but not dry or brown at all. We're wondering if we should cut them down or if they will spread to other plants.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Janice you don't say where you live....but I suspect your bush needs water.....not a watering can full.....but a good long drink from the hose.
    Linda C

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area