Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_girl96

Pentas, verbena, and daisies ...

daisy_girl96
16 years ago

This year I planted 'Butterfly' Pentas in my front flowerbeds in front of my 'Becky' Shasta daisies and put purple & cranberry verbena in front of the pentas. My nursery uses generic tags so I'm a bit lost as to the care of them. I assume that you deadhead the pentas, but I'm not quite sure how. What I mean is, since the "flower" is really a cluster of tiny flowers, once the tiny flowers are spent do you pinch the whole thing off? This is what I think is right, but I don't want to end up with no flowers if I'm wrong.

Also, the verbena - is there anything at all I do with those? Since the flowers are so tiny I can't imagine deadheading them, but all I know about them is that they spread out like a groundcover. Should I know anything else?

As for my daisies, my new (nosey) neighbor told me I was deadheading those wrong. So, do you just pinch (or snip) off the daisy head or do you cut the entire stem back?

Also in general, is there anything that I can do to really make my pentas and verbena get big and thrive?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus