Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prchesky

Rose Bush Newbie here.

prchesky
15 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am a total newb when it comes to rose bushes. I've tried to look up the information without any direct feedback for what I am looking for.

So instead of trying to weed through all the older posts I figured I would just ask the questions here. I do not remember the name of the rose bushes I have, but maybe a general feedback will help.

1. I was told I should prune below the rose flower after it has fully bloomed, so that it will encourage more growth, is this true?

2. One one bush it's growing very long and starting to lean. Would it hurt the growth if I cut it down closer to the roots, would this encourage stronger and thicker branches?

3. Should I losen the soil around the rose bush every week? and If I do this won't it hurt the roots?

4. Also, some of the leaves are turning yellow, which also looks like they have small holes in them. Now I know this is being caused by some bugs, but I was told it might also be a disease of some kind. What should I do?

Well, sorry for the lengthy long first post. I will try to keep it to a min of a 1000 words or less next time.

Thanks in advance to all the feedback.

Comment (1)

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

I will try to answer, altho I am not necessarily a rose expert, however I have grown many roses successfully over many years. Roses can be a complicated subject. That old saying a rose is a rose is a rose.....well, not so much. There are many categories of roses and the care of them can differ somewhat and also the pruning and the timing of the pruning. In general, roses need alot of sunlight, good air circulation, and like most plants, good soil and planting hole preparation with something like compost for the ideal. Now, the way I see it, the main difference for regular gardener folks is this: fussy hybrid tea roses, grown for long beautiful cut flowers and to "show" them vs landscape roses, which are grown to look beautiful in our garden beds and are more carefree. I favor the old garden roses, which are classes of roses that have been around for hundred years and more, I recommend Antique Rose Emporium website for good info on these. Now to your questions: for lots of flowering plants, if you "deadhead" them which means snip off the old, finishing flowers, they will make more flowers rather than feel they have finished their job of making seeds. 1. So, yes, snip off the fading, crumbling blooms below the rose and right above a 5-leaf spot on the stem. 2. Not sure if this is a climber and wanting to throw out long "canes" which would need to be tied gently to a trellis or something, or if it is just growing more on that side and looks unbalanced, yes, feel free to trim it back to a natural spot where it looks balanced. 3. No, I wouldn't mess with the soil around the roots, once I had dug the hole (usually dig wide but the same depth as the container was) and back-fill the hole and then mulch with a couple inches bark mulch or pine straw or something, pull the mulch a few inches from the actual rose canes. 4. Roses, especially the fussy ones, are prone to black spot, which is a fungus and the leaves get yellow with black spots. Other insects can chew the leaves (look under the leaves) and others can suck the juices out. you might want to post a message on organic rose growing or just roses, becoz there are many ways to treat this, but I don't use chemicals, so I would use organic method. You could go to a garden center with a specimen and ask them how to treat it too. Good luck.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting