Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Golden Chain tree and Black Eyed Susan plants

Posted by
Faith
(famadio@cogeco.ca) on
Fri, Jun 24, 05 at 21:24

I am very new to gardening and not very knowledgeable. I have this lovely Golden Chain tree in my back yard and my daughter found some of its seeds. I went on the internet and found out the seeds needed to be 'stratified'...so, I did that - freezing them, soaking them, then, I planted 9 seeds - 3 seeds in each 4 inch pot. I now am the proud owner of 6 seedlings, I guess they are called....two are quite big - maybe 8 inches high.. my question is, Now what do I do with them? They seem to be getting leggy and weak...do I pinch them off at the top to make them grow thicker? Do I leave them alone? Do I keep them in the pots? Move them to bigger pots? Plant them outside? I live in the Niagara Region. I'm not sure what zone.

My second question is I planted Black Eyed Susans from seeds - I have three little pots just crowded with seedlings. What do I do with them? Just pop them in the ground? Is it too late in the season? Should they be thinned out and then planted?

I appreciate your help immensely.
Much Thanks,
Faith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Golden Chain tree and Black Eyed Susan plants

• Posted by Nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 25, 05 at 11:56

I've never grown Golden chain trees but the trees I have grown like to be in the ground or in a BIG pot pretty early in their life. They have a long tap root and really like to stretch their roots.

Black eyed susan can go in the ground now. If they have been in the pot too long, they may or may not bloom this year but you want them to get their roots down so they can give you a good show next year. If you water your pot a bit it makes it easier to tease the roots apart when planting. BES are pretty hardy and I usually just rip the root ball into sections and plant each section. Sometimes with one seedling per section and sometimes with several seedlings per section.

Because of the warm weather, you will have to water daily until your seedlings get a foot hold.

o
RE: Golden Chain tree and Black Eyed Susan plants

Thank you so much for your reply, Nurmey. Greatly appreciated, believe me!
Faith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here