Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most Common Mistake

Posted by mshelenlu none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 21:43

What is the most common mistake a beginner makes when gardening?

I am a first year rookie and planting fruit trees, flowers, and veggies. My first mistake: overwatering. My second mistake: underwatering. LOL. Please help with any common sense tips. It isn't that obvious to a rookie! =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most Common Mistake

My first mistake was not amending soil in new garden bed. I removed patch of grass, planted tomatoes and failed miserably. IMO it all starts with good soil. Mulch will help retain moisture. Water when plants need it not on a schedule. I never water well established trees and seldom water well established shrubs. Am now experimenting with perennials that are drought tolerant. Still learning after 30 yrs. It's a journey!

o

3 very solid tips and a good foundation to begin a garden on. I will keep those in mind each year. Thanks!

o

Hi
In my area runaway most common is overplanting. I've done that several times lol. do a lot of reseach on plants that interest you. Pay close attention to trees,vines and seeders.
Have a plan "BEFORE " you even lift a spade lol
Think about the basics
What zone am I in?
What kind of soil do I have ?
Irrigation ,Drainage.
What is the purpose?
Ask ?? of local gardeners . Check out plans that you really like and last be aware that no matter how large the area the space is limited?? lol
I'd never done much more than mow the lawn until I came to florida Imagine my horror when I discovered all those cute little "Hoseplants " will eat the house lol
One point I've yet to master. How much of a zone stretcher do I want to be ?? "Rare and exotic" usually translates to expensive and delicate . i can't get past "If I don't try how will I know?? lol
One thing I've found priceless . Keep a log . You'll refer to it a million times over the years!! gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here