Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tina_gw

Newly planted Aborvitae turning brown

Tina
18 years ago

I live in Passaic County, NJ, and just started gardening recently. I would appreciate some help from the more experienced gardeners out there.

Approx. three weeks ago, I had approx. 25 Aborvitaes planted in my garden in order to get some privacy to the street right next to my property. They serve as a living fence. In front of them we added some bushes like azaleas, butterfly bushes etc.

Ever since the trees and bushes were planted we watered them thoroughly every night except for those days when it already had rained.

I noticed a few days ago, that some of the Arborvitaes started to have some brown "leaves" facing the street (not very busy, just a little side street). After that we had some more rain, and than we also watered the garden in the evening of the last two days.

Is it possible that we watered too much? How do I know when to water? How often should I expect to water the newly planted trees during the first few weeks? All the bushes seem to do fine so far.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Tina.

Comments (5)

• lindac
    18 years ago

It would be very hard to over water where you are....sandy soil as I recall...
    My guess is something from the street....could you have had any herbicide drift?...Or could it be sunburn?...it the street on the south or west?
    Linda C

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Thuja is very forgiving of over-watering, so my first inclination would be to look to other reasons. One possibility is fungal issues if you're watering the foliage every night. If you are watering the soil only, disregard the comment, as this tree is usually pretty resistant to fungal attack.

I wonder about how the trees were situated in regard to sun exposure before being planted? If the trees were sitting in one place for a long time (so one side was largely shaded from sun), or if they were situated so they were close together, shading each others foliage, you could be seeing simple sunburn. The parts that were shaded could easily "burn" when suddenly planted in full sun.

If the trees have been fertilized already, it's possible they are exhibiting symptoms of fertilizer burn.

Don't know if any of this fits. Trees only need soil to be slightly moist. Trees don't drink water like we sip through a straw. They absorb water by osmosis, molecule by molecule from the microscopic coating of water on the surface of soil particulates.

Al

• awilcox
    14 years ago

hi,

we planted 20 TGG trees this spring. we are in central texas where it has been hot (over 100) and windy for two months.
    the soil is clay/alkaline/limestone rock

we have been watering daily at 6am. the trees were planted in 1ft holes with some compost added.

the grass around the trees is doing great, but the trees are yellowing from the inside of the leaves out, then turning brown and dying.

the soil is not soaked with water by any means but it is moist 2 inches down.

are we overwatering? do we need to top dress the soil with more compost? are we sol at this point?

thank you so much,
    allison

• lindac
    14 years ago

Most likely you are watering just the planting hole and water is not getting to the surrounding soil....and perhaps is pooling in the hole....
    Is your soil fast draining? Perhaps is' moist 2 inches down but dry as a bone 6 inches down.
    From what you are saying it sounds like the trees are not getting enough water.
    But, arborvitae do lose some leaves every year from the inside.....could that be what you are seeing?
    Linda c

• awilcox
    14 years ago

thanks so much lindac!

i'll try to check today. someone here thought i was overwatering. it's so confusing because it is SO hot and dry here right now. i gave them all some of that Superthrive vitamin stuff on saturday, didn't water sunday and will try using something to check the soil moisture deeper down today and report back. thanks again so so much!

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor