Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wiringman

Field Bind Weed

wiringman
14 years ago

i live in the great basin area and we have a weed that is very invasive. i think the common name is Field Bind Weed. i get rid of it one week and it is back next week. i flood irrigate in trenches between two rows and i run my tiller where i don't irrigate. this keeps it down and when the plants get big enough it kind of keeps them down where i water. it would be nice to kill the stuff.

the flower looks like a small morning glory and a lot of folks call it morning glory. it is more like morning nightmare. help! if we could eat the stuff we would all get fat.

WiringMan

Comments (6)

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

It's one of those drought tolerant, sun-loving, seeds last in the soil for 60 years plants. Deep sympathy.

It doesn't like shade. It doesn't like being cut off with a hoe repeated over the growing season. It sneers at weed killer.

Maybe a 'cleaning crop' such as potatoes would help to reduce its enthusiasm. When the tops grow it will shade the weeds and the hilling up would ensure that the new sprouts plus the old established plants would be made miserable.

It grows from an underground stem rather than a simple root system so it has plenty of reserves to survive losing its top growth a few times - but not repeatedly.

Another possible for particular areas is (gulp) polythene to cut out the light. It will not be great for your soil but, if you can keep the light away from the Convolvulus, it won't be great for that, either.

It's a hard weed to battle over large areas. It might help to focus on a section and just do containment by taking off the greenery repeatedly in the wider areas of the garden. Building on where you've 'cleaned' the plague from the soil.

Good luck.

• wiringman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

it is truly an obnoxious weed. your right, when the good plants get ahead of the bind weed it seem to slow it down and the repeated tiller treatment is not liked by the bind weed.
    i do have a 1/2 to 1/3 acre potato patch and we have a cultivator on the tractor that first cuts the weeds and that hills the potatoes. after we hill the potatoes there is so much bind weed we use pitch forks to remove it. then we hill the potatoes again. the potato patch does look better after.
    note: beware of bind weed if you sprinkle.

for your insight vetivert8 however discouraging it is. it sounds like you have fought this battle too.

wiringman

• leisa_in_md
    14 years ago

I am fighting this in my front flower bed. So far, I've been keeping it at bay with round up. Multiple rounds of round up. I HATE round up, and do everything else organically, but for this, I will make an exception.

Pulling it encourages growth. It can regro from the tiniest piece of root. Don't EVER let it flower :)

Leisa

• petzold6596
    14 years ago

Every stem section will produce a new plant so cultivating only exacerbates the original problem. I have painted the leaves with round-up ( prevents over spray) and after several applications the weed is gone. Triox may have to be used but that is potent stuff.

• sdgeiger
    13 years ago

What if the bindweed is in your vegetable garden? I don't feel comfortable using Roundup in that area...

• lindac
    13 years ago

What if the bind weed is in your perennial bed?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations