Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need a fast growing tree for clay soil, any ideas?

Posted by studio728 Tracy, Ca (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 2, 06 at 2:49

I live in Tracy, Ca. There is hard clay-like soil in my yard. The summers here are super hot, and the winters are wet & windy. I would really like a fast growing tree that will do well here and look pretty. Do you know of any trees that can hep me?

Thank You,
Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need a fast growing tree for clay soil, any ideas?

You could check with your local nursery to see if either a lilly pilly (Acmena, Syzygium, etc) or a jacaranda would suit. Perhaps not a Eucalyptus as you have a windy area...

A possible, if drainage is not an issue, and a big tree is not the object - perhaps one of the Proteas.

o
RE: I need a fast growing tree for clay soil, any ideas?

Don't know where you live in California, but if you have leaves available like we do in Massachusetts, mix LOTS of leaves in with your "soil". It will make a whale of a lot of difference in the soil. Leaves are cheap, otherwise use peat moss. Another option might be to mix coffee grounds in with your soil. Rome wasn't built in a day, and you cannot correct your soil condition overnight, but either one of the above will definitely help. you can coffee grounds FREE at many Coffee shops if you will give them 5 gallon containers to fill. Take all they will give you. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here