Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siggy_gw

Grass

siggy
18 years ago

ok done a quick search on here can't find what i'm looking for , found other bits of snippets though

ok I have a lawn then grass is bad, in so far as it is very course and it has bare patches of earth, moss and weeds growing through it now can I buy the all in one stuff that kills weed and moss and reseed the grass and keep reseeding the areas that I need to or do I have to start again dig up returf??

many thanks martin

Comments (4)

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

meaning the grass itself is of coarse texture?

if you don't like the grass, the yes, you will likely have to re-sod.

that is, of course, if you're looking for a french-style lawn. you know, those clipped monocultures where nothing else is welcome?

I think herbs in the lawn are a good thing, myself- the provide a bit of diversity, things like clover help replenish some of what a hungry turf grass takes out of the soil...

but how far you're willing to go for the lawn of your dreams is up to you.

me? I'd leave the weeds, and reseed the bare patches once the heat of the summer is done.

• siggy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

yes like course meadow grass even under the bits that have grass it looks like (well when you run your hand through) that all that area comes of one stork?

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

But moss sounds like maybe too much shade and probably too little nourishment. Bare earth indicates compactation - like walking on a dirt path - the air gets squished out and the soil particles settle and eventually it's so hard nothing will grow. "Coarse" grass is simply the variety that's growing there -- different species grow best in different climates, so if you want a "fine" leaf, you will need to locate what is suitable for your area, and then re-seed after loosening (tilling?) and amending the soil.

Please don't apply *any* herbicide until you are very familiar with all the scientific reports on the short- and long-term effects of the chemicals which make up the herbicide. Also consider that you want to grow grass, and poisoning the soil with a grass-killer isn't a very good base for new grass to grow on.

• elgrillo
    18 years ago

2-4D is the primary ingredient in most herbicides that kill the weeds and not the grass. The label usually tells you not to apply to a resodded or reseeded area or young grass. So it is not a good idea to apply a herbicide unil the grass is established. ("Established" is about 6 weeks for bermuda, longer for most other grasses. 'Resodding' is starting over, 'reseeding' is applying seed to the bare spots.) Well-established and healthy grass will choke out the weeds.

You can reseed by raking new seeds into the soil and keeping the area damp. You can do this a small patch at a time, or as much as you can keep moist until the seeds germinate and are well-rooted. I have an area that is 8' by 30' that I must reseed with a bluegrass mix. There is already some bluegrass and fescue there, but lots of bare spots with weeds. I will have to wait until late summer because of our heat and dryness here, but if you live where the temp mostly stays below 90F, you can probably reseed any time. We have some weeds that herbicides don't kill, so I have to weed the area by hand.

I hope some of us have answered your questions.
    Best wishes

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!