Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby1973_gw

Asiatic Lillies - REBLOOM?

bobby1973
17 years ago

hi all, i planted a bed of asiatic lilly bulbs last fall ('05') and they successfully bloomed about 1 month ago. but the blooms only lasted about 2 weeks before the flower petals started falling off to the ground. is 2 weeks the usual run for asiatics? doesn't seem like much of a bloom period considering how long i had to wait for the stems & foliage to pop up and establish their buds. interesting thing though - after the flower petals dropped about 2 weeks ago, i left the foliage there standing so that they could transfer sufficient energy back down to their bulbs. i figured i would just cut them down to the ground once they started yellowing. but i just took a close looks at them, and it appears that they're all forming buds again! do asiatic lillies typically bloom more than once a season? i'd certainly be delighted:)

thanks so much!

bobby

Comments (26)

• triciae
    17 years ago

No, they won't rebloom. What you're seeing are the seed pods developing where the flowers were. And, yes, two weeks seems about right for the blooms to last...a little less if the weather is very rainy or extremely hot/humid & a little longer if weather is a perfect 75 & dry.

• bnb_mindspring_com
    15 years ago

I have dozens of asiatic lillies in bloom now and want advice about moving them to NC in October. Should I pot them up after they stop blooming in potting soil and then plant in the fall in NC or do I have to wait till fall to dig them up to move. It may be several weeks from the time we move until I can get my new garden planting ready. I will have so much to do in the fall with the move -I plan to take most of my 18 year old garden with me- that I'm trying to do as much as I can NOW before it gets too hot to work outside and before the fall.

• bobby1973
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i would definitely wait until the fall to dig the bulbs up, so as to give the foliage as much time as possible at transferring energy back down to the bulbs.

bobby~

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Altho you weren't asking how to extend the lily season. I have found the shorter ( dwarf) asiatics sometimes bloom sooner than the tall ones.
    To extd the season further get some other lilium that will bloom after your asiatics such as:
    oriental
    orienpet ( my favorite)
    species lilium
    and trumpets for fall.

:)
    Karen

• timpdg_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I planted asiatic lilies last spring. They were already full grown plants and they bloomed beautifully. After the plants died off, I cut them down. About when should I expect them to start growing up again? Not sure what to look for. I planted a bunch of bulbs for different things last fall so I am not sure which are which. :)
    Thanks
    JenT

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Jen - like other bulbs, lilies need the foliage left in place after blooming to be able to photosynthesize and produce enough energy to recharge the bulb for next year's bloom. You can remove the old flowers and upto 1/3 of the lily stalk, but the rest should remain in place and untouched until all the foliage browns and dries and falls off. Only then should you cut down the stalk. I like to leave a smallish stub - couple inches - in place so I know where the lilies are located when doing any clean up or dividing/new planting. In spring as the new growth emerges, the fat, rounded shoots of this year's plants should push off any stalk remaining after winter.

Be careful of these shoots and avoid damaging them. A broken shoot of a newly emerging lily will not flower that season.

• ketaki_orchid
    12 years ago

I got asiatic lily bulbs which are white- purpulish in color and looks like pedals put together like garlic.

Now I have planted them about 8inches deep. Will they come back? I also have some small bulbs to plant. Will these bulbs become a plant?

• Slartiblartfast
    11 years ago

I have grown asiatic form for about five years and several reach a flowering height of over 6 feet and flowers can last up to 5 weeks. If in a sunny, sheltered position and kept watered in dry hot weather you can extend the flowering time. Just keep an eye out for lily beetles

• Donna mcmillan
    8 years ago

When should I break open the seed bulbs? How do I know when they are ripe?

• lisanti07028
    8 years ago

You should ask on the Lilies forum; start a new topic with your question.

• gianamuniz
    7 years ago

I recently received an asiatic lily and planted it in a flower pot. The plant had two lily flowers on it and they just fell off this week so now my plant just looks like the top of a pineapple will it bloom more flowers or is it done blooming

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Lilies bloom once a season only. It will not bloom again until next year.

• theneilshow
    7 years ago

How do I get the bulbs to come back and grow?

• theneilshow
    7 years ago

How do I get the bulbs to come back and grow?

• theneilshow
    7 years ago

Sorry I'm a newbie with plants

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Ideally, you plant them in the ground as-is in fertile, well drained soil in a fair amount of sun and they will return next season and bloom. If you are attempting to hold them over for rebloom in the container, that gets a bit trickier. You will need to allow the green stalks to mature and dry, the container will need to be protected from winter cold if in a zone 6 or below and you will want to be sparse in the watering when the bulbs are dormant (late summer/fall through early spring). And you would probably want to refresh the potting soil before next year's growth and fertilize when you see signs of life in spring.

• Sophia D
    7 years ago

Hi it's my first time planting Asiatic lily bulbs and i was so excited when i saw 2 flower buds appear but now I've noticed the base of the buds are turning brown and shrivelling. Does that mean the buds will fall off and i have no hope of seeing flowers this year? Please help :(

• rowan2016
    6 years ago

Hello, I have an Asiatic Lilly, it has done it's bloom and now I'm waiting for the foliage to die off. The plant is in a pot, should I bring the pot in during the winter or will it be okay to leave out during the winter time? For a bit or idea about our winters, It gets quite cold and snows some winters.

• lisanti07028
    6 years ago

As far as I know, Asiatic lilies are hardy to zone 4; I am in zone 6 and mine are in the ground all winter. Growing anything in a pot and keeping it above ground is considered as taking two zones away, so if I did that, I would be keeping the lily at its minimum of zone 4. If you are zone 6 or above, it should be okay. In any event, you shouldn't keep it inside, as I believe that lilies need to be cold for a while in the winter - you could double-check that.

Lily bulbs increase in size quite quickly, so once it's dormant in the late fall, you should check and see if you need to move it to a bigger pot.

• Rosavilla Bahil
    4 years ago

I have asiatic lilies they bloom beautifully, but after their flowers fall and leaves died, it regrows with diff ki nd of leaves, why is that?

• HU-329320099
    3 years ago

They may be a hybrid that are trying to revert to their original form. I love my Asiatic lilies.

• HU-329320099
    3 years ago

They may be a hybrid that are trying to revert to their original form. I love my Asiatic lilies.

• Rosavilla Bahil
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you, i finally understand after months confusing why and how,

• HU-449912476
    2 years ago

so, I've read every ones questions, comments, and responses. But granted I cut my Asiatic lilies down a few weeks after flowers were completely spent (too early, I know) but three of them are regrowing and already have buds........ not sure if I should let them mature or cut them back down. I'm zone 7

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

True lilies - Lilium species - do not have an ability to bloom twice in a growing season. Once and done!

Can you post photos of your lilies so we can see what you are seeing? I have my suspicions but photos of what's happening now would help.