Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlpk625

Pruning a Fragrant Lilac Tree

mlpk625
16 years ago

I've looked through all the forums for this, but haven't seen anything similar. . .hoping you call can help us. We have a fragrant lilac tree at the front of our house as you enter--it has been a wonderful compliment to the entrance of our house--unfortunately, the previous owners were not gardeners (they killed all the perennials--at least tried with weed spikes, etc) and this tree was not pruned each year--it has become overgrown and even hinders walking up to the front porch--another thing is that it is so high, it makes it a safety issue (someone can hide behind it--while the other is at the door)--never the less, my husband is afraid of pruning it back for fear of it dying or someother mishap--it needs cut back at least 3-feet all around--can this be done? and if we decide to do so, should we do it now or in the fall or in the spring? or should we cut back each year an extra 6 inches to what it should be cut back to (and i don't know what length that would be anyway)--and then in the next years do likewise, until it is a more manageable length, etc. . .

Thank you so much for any assistance you can offer!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA