Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are my onions and garlic ready to harvest?

Posted by hyazvac none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 10:52

I am new to gardening. i planted these in april. are these onions and garlic ready to harvest? Do you have any suggestions for me? I know that i have to pick them and let them dry, but i don't really know how. someone told me i could braid the stems together?
THanks!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are my onions and garlic ready to harvest?

The garlic is ready to harvest when 1/3 to 1/2 the leaves have yellowed. Don't wait too long, or it will become over-ripe and the cloves will begin to separate from the stalk.

"Softneck" varieties of garlic are better suited for braiding and keep for a longer time. "Hardneck" garlic has a shorter shelf-life.

Onions are ready when at least half their leaves have lost their color and are beginning to fall over. However, since they can be harvested at any stage, increasing in pungency as they mature, you could certainly pull a few of the larger ones to use now and give the little guys a little more room to grow.

Harvest the bulbs by hand, lifting them from below rather than pulling the stalks, and try to harvest in dry weather. There's not much you can do about rain, but stop watering about a week before harvest, if possible to lessen chance of post-harvest disease. Some people dry the bulbs anywhere, even in full sun, but a well-ventilated area in at least dappled shade is best.

o
RE: are my onions and garlic ready to harvest?

thank you so much!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here