Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vegetable gardening with mirrors for light

Posted by happy_hybiscus 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 11:02

I've never grown a garden before(vegetable and fruit) But I have almost all day sun over most of my backyard. Unfortunately the spot I wish to put my garden is half shaded by my neighbors garage for one half of the day, and the other half shaded by my garage the second half. I chose the location because we have small children and I do not wish to monopolize the center of our yard with my garden. My question is : is there a way to redirect my light w/mirrors and have a prosperous garden. I don't know the first thing about how to set them up or where.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vegetable gardening with mirrors for light

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 11:10

I don't think mirrors will do it for you...
I would try gardening around the edges and put the sand box and swing set in the shade. The kids will be happier and healthier for not spending all dayh in the sun, and the plants will prefer the sun.
Linda C

o

The back side of a mirror is often black and absorbs a lot of light and doesn't reflect much back

o

Thank you both.
I was wondering, if mirrors are more than likely out, is there another way? Possibly artificial or solar light.Planting around the edges sounds good and I'll look into that, but the middle of my yard really is out of the question. My little ones and everyone else for that matter are really into sports and things. Sandboxes and swing sets aren't the issues. I can't see a football game having any hope in the area between our garages.I'd rather not do artificial light though now that I think about it.It's likely to have added cost. But if I use fencing I may be able to partition off ample space around the perimeter of the yard. Thanx again.

o

• Posted by deshima Heat Zone 7 Richmond (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 21:59

Archimedes death ray can give you the degree of and placement there of, it has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

o

My question is : is there a way to redirect my light w/mirrors and have a prosperous garden. I don't know the first thing about how to set them up or where.

Yes, there are fiber optic setups, can't tell you but search.

o

Though this question was asked several years ago, I had the same question and came across this post. I wanted to add some information for others that may come across this post in the future.

From the research I've done, it is possible to redirect sunlight into shades areas through the use of mirrors in the garden. I moved into a house that had a single-row garden already built which includes a permanent, heavy-duty fence trellis. Unfortunately, this area is shaded for more than half the day. We expanded the garden into sunlight and trimmed some of the trees casting shadows, but not all of the trees are in our property (they are owned by the city).

I found several websites that talk about using mirrors to redirect sunlight, so I'm going to try it in the spring. The one thing that is cautioned is that you are careful how you aim the light so you don't cast too much onto sensitive plants or focus it too much in one area.

This link provides some information about different methods of redirecting light: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20080730022705AALZSrj. I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll try to come back next year and post an update of my results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Methods for redirecting sunlight in a garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here