Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulch is bubbling yellow? That can't be good!

Posted by bwilson77 MN (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 11:08

I've been reading about this yellow mold, but I'm still not clear on whether or not I can get rid of it! It's seriously running rampant in my empty mulch beds. Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulch is bubbling yellow? That can't be good!

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 11:43

It does no harm and might be beneficial.....and there is nothing you can do about other than sort of rake it around.
Plant something in those empty mulch beds to hide the stuff.
What are you mulching if they are empty?
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: slime mold

o
RE: Mulch is bubbling yellow? That can't be good!

AS lindac says, it's really rather beneficial; however if you can't stand the sight of it or worse - like it's by the front door and your MIL is coming to visit, and it hasn't turned brown/dry yet: you can make a mild mixture of 1/2 teaspoon liquid soap (not detergent) into 1 gallon of water and spray them. While slime molds come in different colors, sizes, and types, I expect yours is just as susceptible to being washed as my local versions. That is, once you gently spray or pour the soapy water over them, they will shrivel up and disappear in a couple days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here