Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayimera

Having trouble making my new garden "cohesive"

ked1985
9 years ago

To preface: all these plants are new except the large spruce. We purchased last November and planted throughout spring and summer. The back half of the bed is dirt/mulch and then concrete. The only things that might possibly grow there are iris and sedums (we bought the boxwoods and realized this afterwards).

I know it's a new garden so it doesn't look like many amazing established things I see here. But I feel sort of lost in how to go about making it look cohesive and inviting (feels very "spotty" right now). I tried to fill in the holes with a few annuals, and I have 2 iris coming in the mail soonish. Does anyone have suggestions on plant placement? Or does it look okay? I'd like to keep what I have... except maybe the coneflower in the front, I haven't really been impressed with it. I was considering a raised bed in the back -- I don't mind covering the windows.

Comment (1)

• lisanti07028
    9 years ago

As hard as it is, you need to let it grow for a year or so. It looks very nice right now, and will look nicer as the plants get older and start filling in. You may even find that you need to move things, as they get too big for where they are now. What are the dimensions of the bed?

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz