Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Sowing Silver Dollars

Posted by gretchenmi Zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 12:01

Would appreciate any advice on winter sowing these....I live in Michigan and am curious when to start them inside?...Depth...Lighting.....Moisture.....Germination Time....Transplanting in Spring....?...Any advice is "blooming" appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Sowing Silver Dollars

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 14, 06 at 10:44

Honesty-Silver Dollar-Lunaria is often sown where you want it to grow. Sow seeds in Summer to Fall, cover by 1/8", seedings will appear when your soil begins to warm in Spring.
If you want to start indoors, do so 8 weeks before your last frost in your area, again covered by 1/8" @ approx 70F, keep moist but never soggy. Harden plants off gradually to get them used to the outdoors. Seeds will take from 10-14 days to germinate.

There are both Growing from Seed, and Winter Sowing forums here that could be helpful with your seed starting projects.

o
RE: Winter Sowing Silver Dollars

I've grown these for over a decade. You don't have to "sow" them. Just scatter the seeds where you want them in late summer/early fall & toss a few fallen leaves over the area...there's no need to even cover them with soil (I never have). They will sprout over the winter...in my case, under the snow. Come meltoff, they will be 6" tall & quite bushy already. Since they are biennial...they will just grow leaves the first season but return the second year & begin blooming in May. They bloom for 5-6 weeks in my garden. My seed heads are just about ripe now...maybe, another couple weeks before I harvest. They are extraordinarily easy to grow & can be invasive (the two often seem to go together..lol)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here