Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Delphiniums

Posted by eden72 7bAr (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 12:26

I just bought my first Delphinium. It is gorgeous:) I have no idea how to care for it, or what to expect in winter. I am thinking that before frost I cut it back to ground level??? Or, is it one of those that will just be greenery in my bed over winter???? I am thinking the first is correct, but, heck, I am a novice!! Any tips on how to achieve best bloom results for next year??
Thanks a bunch,
Jen <

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Delphiniums

Jen, I'm sorry to say, but you will have a problem with delphs in your zone. They really don't like hot weather and here in zone 6, they often don't return in the spring. People in warmer zones treat often them as annuals.

If it has bloomed, cut back the stalks when the new growth is about 5-6" tall and fertilize. It should bloom again. In the fall, cut the stalks back to the ground and pray that it comes back in the spring! Good luck.

o
RE: Delphiniums

Thank you very much:) I will pray hard! It is so beautiful, and I desperately want things in my bed that will come back so I can avoid all the money and work that comes with using annuals for color. I don't mind buying some, but hope to find good perennial alternatives.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here