Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweetpotatoes

Posted by gardeningbygrace PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 12:32

In a couple of weeks the rodents realize it is time to "dig in" and get food for the upcoming cold. I garden in a community garden and we all have this problem--rodents the size of a rat burrow in our hills of sweet potatoes. I keep my area clean of weeds and the vines about four feet long but this rodent always seems to burrow in and eat some of the biggest taters! Does anyone have an answer for all of us to control these pests before they even think about making a home?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweetpotatoes

Maybe someone on the Vegetables Forum could help.

Best luck!

o
RE: sweetpotatoes

Actually, I suspect your best method is going to be to plant the taters inside a box. By using " wire mesh for bottoms and sides (and some inches above ground), the critters cannot reach the taters. I have ongoing warfare with voles, and the only taters I get are those grown inside a long mesh box. I use 30" wide mesh, buried 12" inches deep and keep it well mulched. Surround the box and intersperse the plantings with marigolds to help deter potato beetles. Yes, it was a pain to dig the first time (to bury the bottom third), but after that it's been a joy to reach inside and scrabble out a lovely big *un-nibbled* tater.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here