Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting boxwoods

Posted by
Pam Alabama
(pam.parker@att.net) on
Sat, Jul 23, 05 at 13:49

My husband wants to move 2 old fashioned English boxwoods to new locations. They are about 3 ft. tall, and are between 30 and 40 years old. Can anyone provide some how to's, and especially the don't do's? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting boxwoods

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 23, 05 at 14:15

Wait until it's cooler.....root prune about 9 months before you move them and again 6 months before and again 3 months before.
Dig a big hole to put them into.....water them well before you decide to dig.....dig a trench just outside of the line where you root pruned.....a deep trench.....dig under the bush, tip it to the side, slip some burlap under it and pull it out of the hole. Best to have a lot of help!
That's a huge bush!.....
Linda C

o

Thanks Linda. It sounds like he needs to get started, doesn't it!! Thanks so much for your help.

Pam

o

I found some large boxwoods tossed on the side of the road....Yep, I hauled them home.They are rather large.....root balls were about the size of a gallon: maybe gallon&half container.The drip line....about 3ft.Think they have a chance? Should I prune the bushes back at all now? Thanks! lori

o

Need to transplant 5 small boxwoods for a client. Now that it is March 8th...should I wait until threat of frost which will be beginning of May. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here