Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jinski

Peppers dying off...

jinski
18 years ago

A few of my pepper plants, 2 pepperoncini's a 2 sweet bells' have fallen victim to something...nothing has eaten ANY leaves, and they didn't starve to death! HELP!

Pics are here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of the Garden and the death of peppers

Comments (2)

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

pretty garden- but I'm not sure from the pics what's going on- in one series, I can see pepper plants, then no pepper plants...but that's about all I can tell from the snapshots.

if they're just gone, SOMETHING is eating them, likely something larger than an insect or a slug- which is odd, since critters tend to avoid the nightshades.

hmm- might want to post a fuller description here, and maybe at the 'garden clinic' forum?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

The pictures show a definite nutrient shortage in the peppers. It could be pH related, or the nutrient(s) might be unavailable. E.g. if you have mixed mulch in the top layer of soil, it could be a N deficiency & photos are somewhat consistent with that. N is mobile in plants & a deficiency usually manifests itself in older leaves first, however. Your plant's leaves seem to be equally affected, leading me to believe it is possibly a less mobile nutrient. Typical symptom of a Sulfur deficiency are light green to yellow veins along with darker interveinal areas, which your plant shows, but I'd be very reluctant to suggest it's a sulfur deficiency because of how uncommon it is. I'm pretty sure it's not P or K that's lacking.

Best course of action is get your soil tested instead of listening to our best guesses. It will eliminate all doubt. In the interim period, I would side-dress with a balanced fertilizer (10-10-10, 12-12-12, etc.) & see if things improve.

Oh, just thought of something, the lack of laterals (side branching) indicates a possible N shortage as well. In looking at these plants, I have to ask you if they're in full sun? By their extension, they don't appear to be, but they are a full sun plant.

Get your soil checked. ;o)

Al