Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Covering a lawn with bark

Posted by
chris buck
(chris@chrisbuck11.wanadoo.co.uk) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 14:54

I would like to replace a lawn of grass with a low maintenence covering of bark or stones. Can i achieve this without having to dig up the lawn? Is there a way of covering over what is already there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Covering a lawn with bark

Mow the grass short, lay down about 10 sheet thickness of wet newspapers and cover it with shredded bark. You may have to pull or dig the occasional weed....but it will kill the grass.
Linda C

o

Using this method means that you can plant when the grass has died, which probably takes at least a season.

Try for an "airtight" cardboard layer (lots of layers, lots of overlap):
Grass is sneaky.

If you want to plant sooner, cut the sod & pile it in a compost pile, then add new compost/gardensoil/mulch.

If you use stones, you'll have grass (*weedy* grass!) slinking up between them for the rest of your life.

I just know this.

sylvia

o

My back lawn was full of weeds. This spring, I covered it with all kinds of papers, cardboards, corrugated boxes, cereal boxes, etc. & junkmail, catalogs, magazines and newspapers.I used the entire tickness of the newspapers, catalogs and a few layers of cardboards, overlapping them, wet them down then I spread barks on top. I replenish the papers as I collect them. Cardboards breakdown much faster than newspapers. I only had problem with dock growing through twice. I just dug it up. Everything else is dead. This fall I am going to plant miniature Daffodils and tulips there. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here