Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You know it's too hot when...

Posted by Mrs_Emily 8 Louisiana (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 14:57

your hummingbird nectar has reached the soft ball stage!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You know it's too hot when...

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 15:51

... your words turn to steam & when they hit the shade & condense, it sounds like somebody is under the tree talking gibberish.

Al

o

Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 16:00

You hear noise from the garden that sounds like firecrackers going off (BTW, Happy Independence Day), but immediately realize it's only the corn popping.

Al

o

Even the birds are panting.

o

you open your car door & lean in, & your glasses steam up.

you realize that you *can* drive with only one finger on the blistering steering wheel.

you have to run the water a few minutes before watering anything, to get the burning-hot water out of the hose first.

you find yourself begging cardboard boxes to make lean-to shelters for new plantings, even sun-lovers.

o

You take a rag out of your pocket to wipe the sweat off your face, and the cloth already dripping from the humidity.

While walking across the lawn, you try to figure out how to wear a beach umbrella instead of a hat.

You give up wearing glasses while working because the sweat keeps blurring the lenses.

You remember learning that you can bake cookies in the back window of a closed-up car - after you accidentally sit on the hot metal seat-belt hook.

You take a glass of iced tea to the postman, and the ice melts before you've gotten to the mailbox.

o

You hate yourself for wasting the energy drying tomatoes,(herbs, fruit leathers), when it could have been done on your car's dashboard for FREE.

When your normally quiet beach town is full of folks from "Zoni."

Bejay

o

:) when your tropical plants finally take off their little cardigans, and start looking like they're thinking about spring (my jasmines are budding!)

when the Witnesses stop going door to door, and start hanging out in air conditioned spaces like the Hare Krishnas ;)

it's hot and dry when the birdbath evaporates by the time you get home from work

around here, it just starts bubbling ;)

o

the dog doesn't want to go for a walk - just hang out in the creek in the back yard!

o

Tue, Jul 5, 05 at 15:24

... you can poach an egg with water from the hose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here