Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barry_gw

water......

Barry
18 years ago

I had thought years ago i heard of putting sugar in water to make cut flowers last longer......or was it soda water???? If there is anyone that recalls either can you let me know as we have a house full of vases waiting for the flowers........

Thanks

Barry

Comments (9)

• creatrix
    18 years ago

One of my horticulture professors recommended adding some lemon-lime soda as a flower preservative.

If you are cutting from your garden, cut in the morning and carry a bucket of water to put the flowers in as you cut. It is best to recut under water as you make your arrangements, but that's kind of messy. But I do try to immerse the newly cut stems ASAP.

One thing I know works- change the water every few days. I pour off about half and add fresh.

• broodyjen
    18 years ago

I've heard of putting asprin in water, too. Also heard to put a tiny bit of bleach in (to prevent mold, I guess). You know what you should do, though? You should go to the grocery store and swipe some packets of the flower fresh stuff they have there. They keep it out in a box by the cut flowers. Buy your groceries at the same time, though, so you're supporting their business and not just helping yourself to the freebies.

• PMC_Nebraska
    18 years ago

We added a small amount of bleach to most of the centerpieces that we brought home from my daughter's wedding reception. Obviously we missed a few because the bleached ones lasted about 10 days longer than the non bleach ones.

• urthshaper
    18 years ago

I used to work as a florist's helper. The lady that I worked for that had the least ammount of "shrink", or stuff that died without being sold worked with fresh water only, changed every day. She said that floralite, unless mixed properly (and they don't give proper directions on the packet) will encourage bacterial growth, and ditto for sugar and asprin. This is what kills flowers faster. Bleach is dicey, because if you get too much in there, it'll off your fresh flowers faster, too. Depending on your municipalities' tap water, you may already have enough chlorine in there.

• cowgal210_aol_com
    18 years ago

I was wondering if you put bleach on your garden flowers will they stay fresh too. I have these bugs that keep coming back and they die if you put bleach on them. So i was wondering if that was safe or not thank you!!

• lindac
    18 years ago

I sure don't want containers of water with even a wee bit of bleach sitting on my tables over my oriental rugs!
    But I do like the commercial stuff....Think it makes a huge difference.
    Linda C

• triciae
    18 years ago

Lindac, wow what a good point. I'd never thought of the bleach/rug thing. I too have some rugs that if bleachy water dumped on them...I'd feel slightly nauseous. I keep cut flowers all around the house....love, love, love them. It's one of the reasons I garden w/perennials. Thanks for the head-up on what should have been obvious to me!

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Maddie, I think bleach "on" the garden would eventually become bleach "in" the garden (in the soil), which would poison your soil.

Take one, or some, of the bugs to your county agricultural extension agent to find out what non-toxic remedy you can use.

Best luck!

• lindac
    18 years ago

Chlorine bleach dissapates...the chlorine goes into the air...
    I have been pouring straight bleach on my patio for about 30 years....
    Doesn't seem to hurt the plants nor the grass at all....certainly a lot less than what the city puts on the streets and plows into my yard.
    But I don't think it will do anything for bugs....unless you close them in a jar with the bleach!....However it sure bleaches out that old concrete.
    Linda C