Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Lawn

Posted by Xahk Florida (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 16:37

Hello everyone, I recently moved into a new townhouse and for the first time have a backyard (incredibly small as it is). I would like to have some actual grass and a pleasant looking yard. I have no experience with gardening and I'm not really sure where to begin. If anyone has any advice on how to start a project like this I would really appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Lawn

I'd begin by getting rid of that weed tree at your fence. Looks like it may be an Ailanthus - Tree of Heaven. But whatever sort of tree it is, it will take out the fence.

I doubt you truly want grass if the only place for it is in the square at the upper right of your picture. (With a mini-lawn there, recall that you'll also need a mower.)

How about getting a low growing green-all-year groundcover instead? And/or some perennials, flowering & evergreen?

If you're new to Florida, contact your county's Extension Service office as they can make appropriate suggestions. locate your office with this map http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

And/or go to a nearby large garden center. Nowadays most have consulting services priced at various levels such as these-
- look at your pictures and suggest
- come to your place to look & suggest
- for a fee, draw a plan for you
- for a fee, send out a crew to install what you want

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

o

• Posted by Xahk none (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 13:13

Thank you for your advice, I ended up installing some palmetto sod, they say it should be good in direct sunlight for most of the day. and I laid down about an inch of lawn soil beforehand. And I guess at some point during the year I should use some fertilizer? so hopefully it'll turn out okay after a while.

o

It looks very nice - good luck with it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here